Help me pick a .22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46and2

So currently we have an M&P full size 9mm and a Shield 9mm. When we go to the range we really like to shoot a bunch, so I want to pick up a .22. I am having a bit of a time deciding between rifle and pistol. I am leaning rifle a little because we already have 2 pistols. But I do not have a rifle safe, so that is something to consider too. What's out there that won't break the bank? I was hoping to keep it under $500 new. The M&P15-22 looks kind of neat, but so do some of the Ruger Mark III pistols. So what do you guys like for plinking?

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
10/22 is a great choice. Also, look at the Ruger 22/45 or Mark III for a handgun. Both of the Ruger's I mentioned and the Buckmark are great! You should be able to pick up both a 10/22 and a Buckmark or 22/45 for around $500.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool. I checked out the Buckmark and it looks like a good value. I am going to research the 10/22. Thanks!
Great thing about these two isthat they are easy to shoot, easy to clean, and are very dependable. + the after market parts you can buy for these are unlimited. If you decide that you do not like them they will sell fast.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are looking for something a little cheaper than the 10/22, well OK alot cheaper the Mossberg 702 Plinkster is great. I've got one and it shoots very well and hasn't given me any issues pick one up at your local Walmart. Same goes for 10/22 though.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger 10/22 is hard to beat for a .22 rifle. For a pistol people split between the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger MK 2, e etc. Its really preference, but I prefer t shoot the Ruger pistol but would rather clean the buckmark!

Latest posts

Top Bottom