Help me pick a .22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently bought the M&P 15-22 MOE version, I love it. No problems at all, picked it up from SSP.
i672.photobucket.com_albums_vv90_oufan24_cdc0868b.jpg

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So currently we have an M&P full size 9mm and a Shield 9mm. When we go to the range we really like to shoot a bunch, so I want to pick up a .22. I am having a bit of a time deciding between rifle and pistol. I am leaning rifle a little because we already have 2 pistols. But I do not have a rifle safe, so that is something to consider too. What's out there that won't break the bank? I was hoping to keep it under $500 new. The M&P15-22 looks kind of neat, but so do some of the Ruger Mark III pistols. So what do you guys like for plinking?

there's an M&P-22 pistol you know. :D

SoonerStatePawn has one right now

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
M&P 15-22 rifle w/ flash arrestor. 1,000's of rounds through it w/o a hic-up. $420 on line. Get extra magazines... or you will spend more time reloading than shooting. You can empty 25 rds just as fast as you can pull the trigger. Very easy to clean. Shoots Federal 550 bulk pack ammo with no problems.

View attachment 21838

Hitokiri03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bolt action: Savage Mark II. Stock trigger can be tuned to about 2.5lbs or so. I have seen people with the heavy barrel FV ($180) change the bottom metal to the thicker DIP bottom metal ($25) and get .2" grouping at 50 yards. I have also seen people hit 6" plates at over 200.

Semi-Automatic: Owned a 10/22, but sold it. Own a 15/22 Magpul Edition and LOVE IT! The thing is a blast to shoot and is a great little trainer.

Pistol: Rugers and Buckmarks are the usual suspects. However, I have shot the M&P22 and it is great! The aluminum slide is the best slide for the rimfires that replicate their bigger brothers. However (again), I have heard through the rumor mill that APEX Tactical might be coming out with rimfire conversions for the M&P platform. Just food for thought.

Summary: I would wait on pistol for now to see what APEX does. If you want a rifle for fast shooting and fun, M&P 15-22. If you want to try to push the distance for .22LR, go with the Savage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom