308 Coyote Load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I know all about AmmoSeek. Thanks for these suggestions. I already have some 147 gr ball ammo, but I’m really looking for load recipes and not loaded ammo.
That was probably more for the $40,000 ammo suggestions that had already been posted, lol.

I don't load that light but Hodgdon has 110s going past 3400FPS and 125s past 3000fps on the hot side with various powders. I'll look at Load Data and see what they have...any particular projo?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I google a bullet and see what the reviews are like for it at Midway USA and you will find load data there from people that use that bullet.

Varget , IMR4064, IMR 3031 and BL-C(2) and 8208 XBR have never let me down in the accuracy department for .308
and I did research some loads for 125 gr and for me I will use some of my IMR4064 for my first go at the lighter bullets in my .308 if I ever get around to trying them.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
H4895 is my lighter .308 bullet powder of choice...but talk about unobtainable and expensive. I've only got about 2.5lbs left, and I doubt I'll be able to replace it. IMR-4895 is close, but you lose the temperature insensitivity. I've got MOA or better out of several 130 - 150gr hunting bullets out of my 18" Wilson Combat barrel with H4895.

TAC is my cheap alternative, but I have to do load development for the temps I'll be hunting in...way too easy to end up with pressure issues with it. I was using TAC with the 150gr Interlock on my thermal stuff.

Plenty of professional resources online so you don't need to copy a home recipe and end up in trouble.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
H4895 is my lighter .308 bullet powder of choice...but talk about unobtainable and expensive. I've only got about 2.5lbs left, and I doubt I'll be able to replace it. IMR-4895 is close, but you lose the temperature insensitivity. I've got MOA or better out of several 130 - 150gr hunting bullets out of my 18" Wilson Combat barrel with H4895.

TAC is my cheap alternative, but I have to do load development for the temps I'll be hunting in...way too easy to end up with pressure issues with it. I was using TAC with the 150gr Interlock on my thermal stuff.

Plenty of professional resources online so you don't need to copy a home recipe and end up in trouble.
My 308 powder is Varget, so if you get in a bind, I‘m pretty sure I have 3 lbs of H4895.

After reading the replies and realizing how cheap my 270 150 gr loads are, I’m better off not going down this path and just stick with what I know works.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 308 powder is Varget, so if you get in a bind, I‘m pretty sure I have 3 lbs of H4895.

After reading the replies and realizing how cheap my 270 150 gr loads are, I’m better off not going down this path and just stick with what I know works.

Man, that SST is a beast of a bullet AND one of the least expensive ones around. The only thing I found when using the little cousin to your 150gr .270 load (I used the .277 120gr SST in the 6.8) is that I really had to hit bone to get that bullet to be impressive in coyotes.

Head-on shots to the body literally eviscerated them, it was brutal. Shoulder shots dropped them like sacks of crap...but behind the shoulder just didn't give those impressive results. I assume that the bullet didn't get the amount of resistance in those 5" that it was designed for. The 120gr is a much better hog and deer bullet than it is a coyote bullet for sure.

I stocked up on cheap 150-165gr soft points a few years ago for hog hunting with a .308. I also bought several thousand once fired pieces of Lake City military (essentially machine gun) brass. Even then, the cheaper bullets were .30/piece and the brass was about .25/piece. Like you noted...there isn't a whole lot of savings going that route over your .270.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, that SST is a beast of a bullet AND one of the least expensive ones around. The only thing I found when using the little cousin to your 150gr .270 load (I used the .277 120gr SST in the 6.8) is that I really had to hit bone to get that bullet to be impressive in coyotes.

Head-on shots to the body literally eviscerated them, it was brutal. Shoulder shots dropped them like sacks of crap...but behind the shoulder just didn't give those impressive results. I assume that the bullet didn't get the amount of resistance in those 5" that it was designed for. The 120gr is a much better hog and deer bullet than it is a coyote bullet for sure.

I stocked up on cheap 150-165gr soft points a few years ago for hog hunting with a .308. I also bought several thousand once fired pieces of Lake City military (essentially machine gun) brass. Even then, the cheaper bullets were .30/piece and the brass was about .25/piece. Like you noted...there isn't a whole lot of savings going that route over your .270.
For whatever reason, I like plastic tipped bullets in my 270, but I use 165 gr Corelokt bullets in my 308 load. I have a bunch of 130 gr soft point 270 bullets (blems from Midway), so I loaded up ten to try in my pre64. If they shoot good, that would be a good alternative.

The 150 gr SST on a coyote is very impressive and delivers a very satisfying “poof” of hair on impact, and I’ve never had one not drop like a rock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom