Hendsoldt Optic (same one LaRue used to make the Poor Boy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked up a Hendsoldt optic from Guns_Not_Groceries after I had been reading about the LaRue Po-Boy optic setup where they took the same optic and removed the Tank-Ranging reticle and put it in one of their flip-to-side mounts.

I've got to say, this thing is crystal clear and at only 2.5x, its clarity more than makes up for what it lacks in magnification. The Germans sure did know how to make this stuff.

I'm now thinking of using this guy just as an optic by itself if I can attempt to do so easily. The reticle is busy, but its got plenty of cross-hairs, and if its adjustable, I could easily sight one of them to my rifle with the right mount.

Anyone have any info on these? I got it with what appears to be the original mount, but that mount looks to be made for some sort of specific rail. If I could get an adapter from that to the Pic rail, I think I'd use it just like it is.

I've got to say, I'm more than impressed with this thing just taking it out and looking around with it - its clear enough that I'm able to read words on signs 1/4 of a mile away with no problems at all.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheaper than Dirt has them apparently and this is what they have to say about them:

Original German military telescopic sight for a Panzerfaust 3 anti-tank rocket launcher. This 2.5x power sight has a range estimating reticle and has many practical uses in the field. Manufactured with the highest quality optics by Hensoldt/Wetzlar, and straight out of the German arsenal.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like this one:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP097-1.html

But when you add a light source to the top of it (which looks to have a place to mount one already) it lights up the entire reticle!

This thing is bad-ass.

I'm ordering some more right now (apparently there are how-to's on how to remove the reticle if you want to, but nothing I can find shows how to adjust it).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the diameter of the tube?

1" diameter.

I wonder if I could find a cheap mount to get it to line up with my Primary Arms M3 clone.

LaRue did this with their flip-to-side mount and a 1" insert - I'm sure you could get a 1" insert for Primary Arms' mount, but the problem is that it has a very busy reticle:

awww.cheaperthandirt.com_ctd_images_bgprod_SCP_097_A.png

You could use it as a magnifier like this, but like I said, its very busy and would be fairly distracting. Using it as an optic by itself, the same problem is there, but it looks almost usable if say, you could sight in the top or bottom cross-hair.

I'm not looking to use it for anything serious, but it would be very interesting to see if it could work as maybe a hunting optic - because the glass is super-friggin clear.

The illumination port on top is very cool too - it allows for a light (I've tested it with a flash-light) to line up with it and it lights up the entire reticle to a bright white. It has a dove-tail around the light-port that looks like a rimfire scope-mount dovetail, so I may have a machinist friend of mine who owes me a favor mill something to fit it with a hole on top that maybe one of those tiny Streamlight flashlights could fit into if I can't find the original light-source for them in some Army Surplus place.

It has two screws on top of it that look like they might possibly be adjustment screws - if that's the case, then it can be sighted in and used for an AR optic or Ruger 10/22 Optic (or GSG-5 possibly). If that's not the case, then I've read about scope-rings that are adjustable - I'd love to hear from anyone who knows about these because I'll probably be getting one if this thing can't be adjusted.

I don't know, but its high enough quality that LaRue thought to use it as a platform for their poor-boy magnifier, so it can't be all bad (and it apparently was used to guide rockets into airplanes at one point too).

The eye relief isn't super-generous, so I definitely wouldn't use it on a harder-kicking caliber, but .223 should be fine (and .22), but I'm very impressed with it for the $10 I spent and its surely worth another $5 to pick up online.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
looks like the reticle is easy to remove but you lose some magnification.. I may have to order one of these and see if I can find a cheap mount to make it work... It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the Primary Arms stuff (not that that's outrageous, but I'm a cheapskate.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looks like this one:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP097-1.html

But when you add a light source to the top of it (which looks to have a place to mount one already) it lights up the entire reticle!

This thing is bad-ass.

I'm ordering some more right now (apparently there are how-to's on how to remove the reticle if you want to, but nothing I can find shows how to adjust it).

Its a none adjustable sight configured for mounting on a standardized weapon/Anti-tank single fire weapon. Just like the old flipup sights on the L.A.W.

Latest posts

Top Bottom