They dont make things like they used to ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back almost 25years ago I was rebuilding the air conditioner on a 1978 White snub-nose - looked like this one, except painted blue.
Detroit 6v-92T engine, for those interested. A 2-stroke diesel.

1708447495898.png

It had a roof-mounted condenser unit, and the 10-foot long hoses were rotten, etc etc. I redid the system, and needed a vacuum pump to pull it down before charging.

A friend of mine had some property with a ravine, and over the decades things had been pushed off into that ravine. Way down there was an old refrigerator which still had a compressor. We hooked a chain to it and pulled the fridge up, and I robbed the compressor out of it.

The compressor still pumped, amazingly enough, and I cobbled together a vacuum pump out of it.
20240220_103755.jpg
20240220_103810.jpg

I've been using that vacuum pump ever since. It's slow but it works, and I've got like 3 bucks and 30 minutes of labor in it; including the custom carry handle on top.

Well, yesterday I installed a new condenser in my 2007 International, and went to pull down the system.

Hooked the pump up, and it didn't work. Rats. I gently whacked it with a screwdriver handle a couple times, and it burped into life for a second or two, then shut off.
Heck, if a gentle whack will make it run for a second, a hard whack should fix it, right?

No dice; regardless if how big a hammer used it wouldn't wake up. It's dead, Jim.

I called up my buddy to complain, and asked about the warranty.
He was still laughing when I hung up in disgust.

They just don't make stuff the way they used to.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back almost 25years ago I was rebuilding the air conditioner on a 1978 White snub-nose - looked like this one, except painted blue.
Detroit 6v-92T engine, for those interested. A 2-stroke diesel.

View attachment 455499

It had a roof-mounted condenser unit, and the 10-foot long hoses were rotten, etc etc. I redid the system, and needed a vacuum pump to pull it down before charging.

A friend of mine had some property with a ravine, and over the decades things had been pushed off into that ravine. Way down there was an old refrigerator which still had a compressor. We hooked a chain to it and pulled the fridge up, and I robbed the compressor out of it.

The compressor still pumped, amazingly enough, and I cobbled together a vacuum pump out of it.
View attachment 455500View attachment 455501

I've been using that vacuum pump ever since. It's slow but it works, and I've got like 3 bucks and 30 minutes of labor in it; including the custom carry handle on top.

Well, yesterday I installed a new condenser in my 2007 International, and went to pull down the system.

Hooked the pump up, and it didn't work. Rats. I gently whacked it with a screwdriver handle a couple times, and it burped into life for a second or two, then shut off.
Heck, if a gentle whack will make it run for a second, a hard whack should fix it, right?

No dice; regardless if how big a hammer used it wouldn't wake up. It's dead, Jim.

I called up my buddy to complain, and asked about the warranty.
He was still laughing when I hung up in disgust.

They just don't make stuff the way they used to.
Dad had one of those "home built" vacuum pumps, used it for years. Not sure what happened to it as I didn't see it when I cleaned out his garage.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used an old refrigerator compressor for pulling vacuums on auto A/C systems for over 25 years. Then I bought a real A/C vacuum pump at a swap meet for $60. I will say that the real pump will pull 2-3 more inches of vacuum on the gauge than my refrigerator compressor ever did after I gave it a fresh oil change.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used an old refrigerator compressor for pulling vacuums on auto A/C systems for over 25 years. Then I bought a real A/C vacuum pump at a swap meet for $60. I will say that the real pump will pull 2-3 more inches of vacuum on the gauge than my refrigerator compressor ever did after I gave it a fresh oil change.
Yeah, I've got a real pump coming. Damn shame though, the free one worked for almost 25 years.
Now I'm spending bucks on one that probably won't last half as long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom