Hey MAC users!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Rick. I've been running Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 on mine and have the latest defs. But I'm going to check if I have the Flashback crud.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Rick. I've been running Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 on mine and have the latest defs. But I'm going to check if I have the Flashback crud.

This was discussed in. Mightymouses thread...

Flashback uses a flashplayer exploit to load itself, if you hace stayed on top of your adobe flash updates you should not have an issue. An older version of it used a Java exploit several years ago to load. Not a new trojan just a new exploit to load it in.

Why are you using symantec? It sucks for windows. Clamavx is what I use on my macbook.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Wow Ijust read the article and that was the worst, most, most uninformed technology piece I have read... Flashback hit the OSx scene several years ago and loaded as a java exploit, this time it hit through a flash exploit. Blaming apple for not patching is also BS, apple did release a recent java patch for OSx but it had nothing to do with how theses machines were being exploited since it was adobe's software the trojan was entering through. That piece was written by an obvious mac hater.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was discussed in. Mightymouses thread...

Flashback uses a flashplayer exploit to load itself, if you hace stayed on top of your adobe flash updates you should not have an issue. An older version of it used a Java exploit several years ago to load. Not a new trojan just a new exploit to load it in.

Why are you using symantec? It sucks for windows. Clamavx is what I use on my macbook.

I run all the updates on mine so I should be fine. I haven't paid attention to Mac exploits so I hadn't heard of Flashback. As far a SAV\SEP, I know what you mean. We run version 11 at work and it is largely worthless. I was doing some testing with version 12 and downloaded the beta client for Mac several months back. Installed in on the MBP figuring what the hell.

I agree on the article. Sounds like it was written by someone who works at Microsoft.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run all the updates on mine so I should be fine. I haven't paid attention to Mac exploits so I hadn't heard of Flashback. As far a SAV\SEP, I know what you mean. We run version 11 at work and it is largely worthless. I was doing some testing with version 12 and downloaded the beta client for Mac several months back. Installed in on the MBP figuring what the hell.

I agree on the article. Sounds like it was written by someone who works at Microsoft.

Actually I was wrong, it was using the Java exploit this time round, here is how to check for the infection through terminal.
http://gizmodo.com/5899352/mac-flashback-trojan-find-out-if-youre-one-of-the-600000-infected

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First version used java, 2nd used adobe flash, and then the latest used java again.

Blaming the mac is like blaming the manufacturer of a car for a tire blow-out, you need to blame to real source.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First version used java, 2nd used adobe flash, and then the latest used java again.

Blaming the mac is like blaming the manufacturer of a car for a tire blow-out, you need to blame to real source.

Exactly, and what is not mentioned is the millions of actively infected windows machines and the thousands of bad things the use flash and java and numerous other exploits to load onto those machines.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I only blame Apple when they leave a critical security vulnerability in a piece of software open for years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom