Hog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RYCOM405

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm completely ignorant on hog hunting. I'm becoming curious though, and would like someone to indulge me on the regulations in the state when it comes to hogs. Also, what areas of the state hogs are present in?

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There aren't many regulations on hogs as they aren't a "game" animal. You hunt them any way you please with a few exceptions.

Must get a permit from warden to hunt them at night

No buckshot. Slug or BB and smaller for shotguns.

Must follow rules of wearing orange during big game rifle seasons and you either need a filled or unfilled deer tag if you are hunting them with a rifle bigger than a .22 rimfire during deer rifle season.

I might have missed something....if so, the others will chime in.

They are throughout the state and if you have them, you will know it. They leave a mess of where they have been.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm completely ignorant on hog hunting. I'm becoming curious though, and would like someone to indulge me on the regulations in the state when it comes to hogs. Also, what areas of the state hogs are present in?

Look at swampier areas and ask Game Wardens - they're usually all to happy to let you know where they are if they happen to be a nuisance in that area (and they usually are).

I don't know about on that side of the state, but around here, areas near lakes and rivers that tend to flood or get swampy are known for having big hog populations.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at swampier areas and ask Game Wardens - they're usually all to happy to let you know where they are if they happen to be a nuisance in that area (and they usually are).

I don't know about on that side of the state, but around here, areas near lakes and rivers that tend to flood or get swampy are known for having big hog populations.

+1

Right now hogs are definitely in the thick stuff close to the marshy edges of lakes and rivers. I've found, at least down here when it gets really cold they'll move pretty far inland. Also, to get that night permit, you're going to have to be a landowner and hunt them on your own property. Shooting times are the usual, a half hour before sunrise and a half hour after sunset.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you come down to SE OK, watch out on Three Rivers and Honobia Creek WMA's. You can only hunt hogs there during deer rifle season.

Disclaimer:
Unless things have changed since the last time I read the regs.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you come down to SE OK, watch out on Three Rivers and Honobia Creek WMA's. You can only hunt hogs there during deer rifle season.

Disclaimer:
Unless things have changed since the last time I read the regs.

Those places have all but run out all of the hunters, ATV'ers, campers, hikers, etc... I hate what they've become over the years with all the stupid regs.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hogs definitely like the muddy stuff. Took these a few days ago....

ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_l_0a99c76187eb49c5bbf183cda8ecfd9e.jpg

ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_l_d79d9143d1aa4306a28da193fa38f45e.jpg

And if you find any old creosote cross ties in the woods, they like those too. The first picture is from two years ago, and the second just a few days ago.
ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_01261533793822000000424262.jpg

ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_l_9ae2b1fb6bea4c5bbfe705be778f5c5a.jpg

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd also recommend taking a sidearm with you when you go. I typically hunt with my .30-06, but if you got a sidearm, bring it. If you wound em, they get mad as hell, and will charge. Better have a way to put it down quick at close range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom