Hog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There aren't many regulations on hogs as they aren't a "game" animal. You hunt them any way you please with a few exceptions.

Must get a permit from warden to hunt them at night

No buckshot. Slug or BB and smaller for shotguns.
Must follow rules of wearing orange during big game rifle seasons and you either need a filled or unfilled deer tag if you are hunting them with a rifle bigger than a .22 rimfire during deer rifle season.

I might have missed something....if so, the others will chime in.

They are throughout the state and if you have them, you will know it. They leave a mess of where they have been.

I believe he is correct on everything but the buckshot part. If you are on private land, there is no restriction on shot size.

"The pursuit of feral hogs with a shotgun on private property is not restricted by shot size."

WMA's vary, so check regs before you go slingin your shotgun full of 00 out there during rifle season. That is sure to get you a GW signature.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When is the best time to hunt them? Is it best early morning and late evening like deer? Also has anyone had good luck using electronic calls? We tried this weekend without any luck but wasn't sure of the best place, time, and set up.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When is the best time to hunt them? Is it best early morning and late evening like deer? Also has anyone had good luck using electronic calls? We tried this weekend without any luck but wasn't sure of the best place, time, and set up.

Are you sure you're in a place with fresh activity? Also when scouting did you walk their trails? Baiting is always good. An electronic feeder with corn is great. We also use copious amounts of apple buck jam. Not just placing it on the ground but also up high to make sure the scent gets spread out into the woods good. Put a trail camera up. They may be moving during the night. This will help you pattern them. An electronic feeder will change their patterns over time and coupled with a trail cam will make it a very productive combination for you.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you sure you're in a place with fresh activity? Also when scouting did you walk their trails? Baiting is always good. An electronic feeder with corn is great. We also use copious amounts of apple buck jam. Not just placing it on the ground but also up high to make sure the scent gets spread out into the woods good. Put a trail camera up. They may be moving during the night. This will help you pattern them. An electronic feeder will change their patterns over time and coupled with a trail cam will make it a very productive combination for you.

These guys are moving around my hunting area, as you can see it's rather early in the morning. I think I'm going to wait till after deer season before I start going after them though..

[Broken External Image]

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These guys are moving around my hunting area, as you can see it's rather early in the morning. I think I'm going to wait till after deer season before I start going after them though..

Those will make some fine eating for sure. Took this sow during muzzleloader season. Passed on a small doe that came through about an hour earlier.
ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_l_33d961f74ea04e7e8f11579330cdbf91.jpg

We hunt several different places. Family land, private property, corps land. Pretty much everywhere you go in Bryan County has hogs. Perfect habitat for them. Three rivers (Washita, Red & Blue). Lots of swampy areas and tons of smalls lakes, etc, that are inaccesible. In essence, hogs in this county are living the good life.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those will make some fine eating for sure. Took this sow during muzzleloader season. Passed on a small doe that came through about an hour earlier.

We hunt several different places. Family land, private property, corps land. Pretty much everywhere you go in Bryan County has hogs. Perfect habitat for them. Three rivers (Washita, Red & Blue). Lots of swampy areas and tons of smalls lakes, etc, that are inaccesible. In essence, hogs in this county are living the good life.

Yeah I saw that picture and was jealous that I haven't got one yet :)

What is weird though, compare the size of the hogs to the size of these bucks... either the bucks are friggin tiny, or the hogs are massive!!

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that picture and was jealous that I haven't got one yet :)

What is weird though, compare the size of the hogs to the size of these bucks... either the bucks are friggin tiny, or the hogs are massive!!

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

That lead hog is a pretty good one. Most of the hogs we have around here are solid black like that one. I have a thread about the same thing you're saying about the hogs in your pic. A big black boar in one picture and a young buck in another. Almost the same height.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a call from a landowner yesterday. (I was staying off one section of his land because his grandsons were hunting with black powder) I ask him what kind of luck they were having and he said they were seeing more hogs than deer! Which is odd because there are ALOT of deer on this section of land.

He told me to shoot as many as I have bullets for! I had never seen hogs down there. I smoked one with my truck last year about 15 miles NE of there, did some nice damage to my lower bumper valance. I guess they have decided to move south!

Now I have a dilemma of which gun to use...the AR, AK, or 300WM....

Latest posts

Top Bottom