Hog Killing Questions--Suppressors and FA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A freind of mine was asking me about killing some hogs on his land. He says tha the has a real problem with them.

I'm wondering, is it still considered "hunting" to take out hogs?

Do you need a hunting license?

He said that they can get within about a 100 yards, but once they fire once, the group scatters.

So....can you use a suppressor and/or fully automatic firearms to take out hogs?

Now, I know you can't "hunt" with a suppressor. And I assume you can't "hunt" with FA, but can you set up to take out hogs with either?

Dave

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma Hog Regulations
Private Lands
Hogs may be taken year-round on private land during daylight hours with the landowner’s permission.

Resident & Nonresident License Requirements: No hunting license required. All persons pursuing hogs during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt.

The text is just an excerpt from the link provided. There is no mention of legal firearms in the link provided.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend of mine who wanted me to bring my machinegun and kill hogs on his property. I wasn't sure about the legality since I don't hunt and kill critters anymore. I was just going to go with him and let him use mine. The next day I ran across a game ranger who told me that using a machinegun is totally prohibited.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend of mine who wanted me to bring my machinegun and kill hogs on his property. I wasn't sure about the legality since I don't hunt and kill critters anymore. I was just going to go with him and let him use mine. The next day I ran across a game ranger who told me that using a machinegun is totally prohibited.

The warden is wrong. There is nothing in the regs. stating the legal means of taking. I woiuldn't do it during another large game animal season due to the restrictions placed in the regs. on hunting deer with a machinegun though.

It would be no more illegal than holding a can of Pepsi while hunting. There is nothing in the regs that says that is illegal either!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think that you could use whatever you want provided it's your land. If I wanted to go out and slaughter all my cows with a full auto, that's my prerogative. The game warden can't say crap. Those hogs, when they are on my land, are just like any other livestock. They are mine to do with whatever I please.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The warden is wrong. There is nothing in the regs. stating the legal means of taking. I woiuldn't do it during another large game animal season due to the restrictions placed in the regs. on hunting deer with a machinegun though.

It would be no more illegal than holding a can of Pepsi while hunting. There is nothing in the regs that says that is illegal either!

I agree with Patrick. I take game warden advice about game laws like I do LEO advice about other laws...with a grain of salt. If they were legal experts they'd be attorneys not LEOs. Nothing personal against our LEO friends.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a lease or someone else's land they would be prohibited under the general hunting regs. You can't hunt anything with a FA regardless of season. And the fact that hogs are not game animals and have no season doesn't change a thing.

I would have to agree that you can if, and only if, you are on your own land. But I think you are going to get busted if caught regardless of land ownership. You can probably beat the charge in court if you're on your own land, but who wants to risk their NFA toys to find out?

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a lease or someone else's land they would be prohibited under the general hunting regs. You can't hunt anything with a FA regardless of season. And the fact that hogs are not game animals and have no season doesn't change a thing.

I would have to agree that you can if, and only if, you are on your own land. But I think you are going to get busted if caught regardless of land ownership. You can probably beat the charge in court if you're on your own land, but who wants to risk their NFA toys to find out?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there is nothing in the General hunting regulations about machine guns. Silencers are metioned. It does say, "Silencers may not be used to hunt game animals, game or nongame birds." But since hogs are not game animals, they would be legal.

The only mention of machine guns in the regulations is discussed on illegal devices during deer season.

I don't see anything in the regs. about using FA on anything is illegal! That is just a blanket statement that kills the rule of law!

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree there is nothing in the regs, but that ain't gonna stop Mr. Game Warden from causing you alot of trouble. A good high capacity semi-Auto should be enough, going full auto just doesn't sound very effective or safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom