Homemade electronic bore cleaner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone made and used an electronic bore cleaner? Any tips or warnings you’d be willing to pass along? Anyone have any trouble with loosing bluing to spillover? I’m aware of the info on surplusrifle.com.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried it myself, only I used two D batteries for the power source (housed inside a flashlight with the bulb out). It worked pretty well on a field-stripped M1 Carbine and Mauser K98k, getting a fair bit of gunk out of them. It requires a bit of prep, but the results were worth the effort.

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ranger Rand P: Thanks for the link.

Perplexed: I’m intrigued; “It worked pretty well on a field-stripped M1 Carbine”. My recollection is that field stripping a carbine doesn’t include opening up the gas system. Did you take any special actions to keep the fluid out of the gas system?

I have one of carbines the Japanese manufactured for the Thais; hadn’t really considered using this kind of bore cleaner on it.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used old transformers from 3-6w, D batteries and, currently, a lantern battery. It's a good procedure, especially for old Milsurps which have mistreated bores. It's sometimes amazing what you can get out of the bore of some rifles.

If you've got a bad one, be patient. Repeat the process.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perplexed: I’m intrigued; “It worked pretty well on a field-stripped M1 Carbine”. My recollection is that field stripping a carbine doesn’t include opening up the gas system. Did you take any special actions to keep the fluid out of the gas system?

I tried it on an old, beat-up Inland just in case it didn't work ;) I plugged the barrel ahead of the hole for the piston so as to keep the fluid out of the gas system. That was several years ago, but IIRC, I had to futz around with the plug until it was good and tight in the proper spot, and I also positioned the barrel at a slight lean with the piston system on top. It didn't get the whole barrel cleaned out, but it gave me the know-how to try it on the more valuable K98k.

Latest posts

Top Bottom