Hornady Critical Defense .357 Magnum Ammo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently bought a box of Hornady Critical Def. ammo.(.357 mag) and tried to fire it from a Ruger Security-Six (4"with a prefix of 150.....) made in the early '70s. The first round was a FTF (tried 3 times) and the second round fired but locked the cylinder up because the primer had a raised "pimple like" mark in the center which would not allow the cylinder to rotate or open. I eventually got it open and sent the box of ammo back to Hornady for investigation. The ruger shoots .357 hydra- shocks and cheaper .38 ammo just fine. Has anyone else had this problem with the ammo? or could it be the gun? Any info. would be appreciated.

P.S. I should add that the FTF had a nice deep impression in the center of the primer.

rmwolf

Marksman
Reaction score
I had a similar situation with Hornaday Critical Defense in .38 Special. I contacted Hornaday and sent them the last 5 in the box along with a few empty cases so they could see the primer strikes. They sent me 2 replacement boxes. In talking with them, they stated that they got a few batches of less than perfect primers from a supplier they no longer use, and profusely apologized for the inconvenience. I did mention to them that if they wish to call something critical defense, that they are obligated to ensure absolute reliability. And, they were in total agreement. Nevertheless, sounds like a quality control issue, that according to them has been rectified. I can't help but be wary. Never had an issue like that with Hydroshoks or Rangers...

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use hornady critical defense in my LCP and have not had any issues. I know that hornady is a reputable company and they seemed very professional on the phone. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but will test fire several rounds in the future before I trust my life to it (of course this should be the case for any self defense ammo.).

k-man360

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hello all, I purchased a box of hornady cd in .357 and have had the same problem shooting out of my taurus 357. I just called Hornady and seem to be very nice but the guy reiterated that it could be the gun. It may very well be but he told me to ship what was left of the box and the spent rounds back and they would investigate the situation.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Hornady, but if they have an issue like this they should recall all lots associated with the bad primer purchase.

Oh by the way welcome to OSA K-man360. :Heya:

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the same problem with their 380 ammo and even posted a thread about it here, but it seems to have gotten lost in the forum upgrades.

They told me my pistol must be striking the primers lightly, so I showed them this picture comparing the primer strikes of PMC Bronze to the Hornady CD. They quickly asked me to send in my remaining rounds to test. They found that the primers used in that batch or few batches were to hard for reliable detination and returned me 3 boxes and asked me to shoot one of the boxes for reliability. Every round in that box went bang, and showed very strong primer strikes.

BUT, the damage was already done in my mind... I didn't trust them in a gun I was using for self defense.

I sold the remaining 2 boxes and picked up some CorBon DPX.. Its been flawless since day one!

agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_794585739_ffs2G_XL.jpg

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After two months and two phone calls later, I received (1) new box of .357 C.D. ammo and it seems to work fine in my wife's S&W 686+. I was told that the remaining 23 that I sent back all went bang. They said the primers were a "little" hard but within tolerances. Supposedly my security-six spring was a little weak and striking a little off-center. I have a hard time believing that because every other ammo I tried went bang and appears to me that the strikes are in the center and deep. I dunno' and am no expert but think that I may use some other brand for defense purposes. I no longer own the Ruger, so I could not test with the new ammo which I was sent, but would have trusted it with my life with any other type of ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom