How do you start/season your steaks? What's on the menu tonight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife had beef tenderloin cooked to a charcoal looking substance, and I had a 1" thick elk backstrap steak, medium rare.

Seasoned with Daddy Hinkles. Amazing stuff. Try it.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I let it sit out until room temp. I sprinkle a liberal amount of Real Salt brand sea salt on one side. I preheat an iron skillet over medium-high heat. I put just a little bit of vegetable oil in the skillet and place the steak salt-side down. Only for a minute to start a good crust. I salt the other side liberally and flip. After a crust has formed on that side I place a few TSP of butter in the skillet along with some a generous helping of fresh garlic and a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme (depending on my mood) until the steak passes the press test as medium rare. Let sit for a few minutes and dig in. The herbs lend a slight enhancement to the beef's natural flavors.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife had beef tenderloin cooked to a charcoal looking substance, and I had a 1" thick elk backstrap steak, medium rare.

Seasoned with Daddy Hinkles. Amazing stuff. Try it.

Daddy Hinkles, garlic salt and red coals. Da bom!

If I don't have Daddy Hinkles, it's seasoned salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rub down with kosher salt and black pepper and cook in a little olive oil. Generally rib eyes or flat irons and sometimes top sirloin. Also aged beef, store
bought beef too tough.

:thumb:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't get to eat steak very often, but when I do, I don't bother with anything other than a nicely marbled, thick cut ribeye.

Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.

I cook it over very hot charcoal, ONLY, to a nice juicy medium rare.

For additional awesome flavor, I add some water soaked hickory chips to the hot coals just before putting the steaks on the grill.

I will not cook a steak past medium, and if you ask for steak sauce or ketchup, you will get a hot dog, and I will have an extra steak for myself. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom