How long do you tumble your brass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's basically what I do ... was watching the Dillon DVD, they say to tumble about 45 minutes after putting in 2 cap fulls of polishing compound.

be interested to hear from anyone that can do a good job of polishing in about 45 minutes like the Dillon DVD.

I have let rifle brass go overnight. Usually a full load and let it work while I sleep.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I found out when I replaced my antique Midway tumbler, there is a LOT of difference in tumblers and how fast they polish.

My old Midway was a rackety nuisance that you could not stand to be near when it was running. The new one is much more civilized and quiet, and takes twice as long to clean with the same type brass, media and polish.
Not really a problem for me, as there is always enough clean brass to load whenever the mood hits, and I don't have to wait for a specific batch of brass to finish the tumbler.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you haven't already added you favorite cap or two of polish to your media, then do so, let it mix throughly...I only do this with new media, and maybe a little to liven some up, but media is cheap, so replace as needed. To get pretty brass, run it overnight, but to just clean, most only need a couple of hours. But i have cleaned .223 that I swear looked like battlefield pickup grunge, and it looked new the next morning.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what kind of polish is acceptable to use?

if you haven't already added you favorite cap or two of polish to your media, then do so, let it mix throughly...I only do this with new media, and maybe a little to liven some up, but media is cheap, so replace as needed.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that's basically what I do ... was watching the Dillon DVD, they say to tumble about 45 minutes after putting in 2 cap fulls of polishing compound.

be interested to hear from anyone that can do a good job of polishing in about 45 minutes like the Dillon DVD.

Basically I usually just throw it in and let it go for a few hours, I've done it in 45 minutes with freshly fired brass and a full tumbler of brass. I don't usually pay a lot of attention to how long it's in there, just let it go till it looks like I want it too. I've been using Nu Finish car polish, seems to be doing a pretty good job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom