How to measure...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to reloading and have read that for the best accuracy you need to measure how far the tip of the bullet is from the lands of the barrel and try to seat the bullet accordingly. How do you measure this?

Also, I've read that after you fire the brass it fire forms to you barrel and you shouldn't try to resize the entire case, just the neck only. Is this true?

This is for a 6.5 Grendel.

Thanks.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I've read that after you fire the brass it fire forms to you barrel and you shouldn't try to resize the entire case, just the neck only. Is this true?

What gun and what purpose?

Depends on what and where you are shooting.

Most of the time you want to FL size every time, there are times when you just want to bump the shoulder with FL die.

Neck sizing works very good for reduced loads and slow rate competitions.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After the first initial firing thru my bolt action rifle, I only neck size. 7MM mag and .243. Full length resizing, in my opinion, doesn't need to be done everytime in a bolt action rifle. I only do it the first time I reload that brass case and if it wasn't new factory ammo.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What gun and what purpose?

Depends on what and where you are shooting.

Most of the time you want to FL size every time, there are times when you just want to bump the shoulder with FL die.

Neck sizing works very good for reduced loads and slow rate competitions.

It will be for a 6.5 Grendel. I will be using it for some long range shooting up to 600 yards max as well as some hunting. Will fully resizing each time help it cycle better on a semi auto rifle?

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some loads call for the bullet to touch the lands, but if you see that, get it confirmed from multiple published (and not just on the internet!) sources.

A make-do solution to keep the overall length short enough to not engage the lands: Load a dummy round. Brass and bullet only. No primer, no powder.

Use a candle to smoke the bullet nice and black. Hold it right in the candle flame, not above it, for maximum carbon deposit. (Do this away from your reloading setup!).

Chamber the dummy bullet, and extract it. If it engaged the lands, it will show in the blacking, and you can reduce your cartridge overall length.

Machinists use something called Prussian Blue for stuff like this, but soot works pretty well. Just a little messy. CB

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Broad black felt tip works well, too.

Some loads call for the bullet to touch the lands, but if you see that, get it confirmed from multiple published (and not just on the internet!) sources.

A make-do solution to keep the overall length short enough to not engage the lands: Load a dummy round. Brass and bullet only. No primer, no powder.

Use a candle to smoke the bullet nice and black. Hold it right in the candle flame, not above it, for maximum carbon deposit. (Do this away from your reloading setup!).

Chamber the dummy bullet, and extract it. If it engaged the lands, it will show in the blacking, and you can reduce your cartridge overall length.

Machinists use something called Prussian Blue for stuff like this, but soot works pretty well. Just a little messy. CB

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I do that too,if your rifle has a spring loaded ejector button in the face of the bolt that puts constant pressure on the cartridge base you may want to remove it to test.The ejector will push the cartridge further into the chamber.I also make a dummy round with a slit in the neck to provide less case tension so the bullet will slide easily back into the neck when it hits the lands and not get stuck in the rifling.The extractor may need to be temporalily removed also if it pushes on the case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom