how would you remove paint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok guys I picked up a Savage 17hmr last night that the previous owner rattle canned camo :cry3:.... So its not so bad right, well as I will probabily never be stalking anything with this rifle I would like to remove the spray paint if I can. Here is a pic

ai876.photobucket.com_albums_ab325_88gmchog_CIMG0641.jpg

I mainly want to clean up the barrel and action, I can paint over the stock and scope. Since if I like it enough to keep it I will replace that scope.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd try the stuff called "Goo Gone" first, it's at Wally and it's not a harsh solvent remover...It's orange colored, non-toxic and doesn't stink too much. Then maybe spray the metal with non-chlorinated brake cleaner

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that is rattle can paint, then non-chlorinated break cleaner will strip it off. Use the brake cleaner only on the metal parts, it can bleach wood, and soften some plastics. So remove the barreled action before spraying it with the brake cleaner.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tried pain thinner last night that's a no go. I think I'll try to get some brake cleaner tonight. I'm thinking about doing it in solid FDE. But I would like to clean it up first.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If paint thinner didn't cut it Lacquer thinner will. But be damn sure to keep it off of the plastic. METAL ONLY!

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say rattle can the bipod and roll with it...black is so 80's. LOL.

Lol yea, I plan to clean the action and shoot it, if it shoots good I might send it to cold hand arms to get cerecoated FDE. Then order a black boyds stock and nice scope for it.

The brake cleaner is working. Then again CLP breakclean will strip anything lol.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep she got a little make over tonight. THANK GOD! Don't get me wrong camo is cool, but not my thing.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

I did not paint the rings cause I plan to replace everything from the bases up. Hell if I like how she shoots the barrel action and bolt might be all thats left in a couple weeks.....

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep she got a little make over tonight. THANK GOD! Don't get me wrong camo is cool, but not my thing.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

I did not paint the rings cause I plan to replace everything from the bases up. Hell if I like how she shoots the barrel action and bolt might be all thats left in a couple weeks.....

Looks bettter. So...what did you do? Paint it with ....?

Latest posts

Top Bottom