Carpet removal aluminum deck pontoon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would aircraft stripper do anything?
I have used that stuff a few times and Parks Pro strip but it will not eat rubber.
@Shadowrider the first thing you posted gummed up quick and was worthless just like 36 grit sandpaper.
1712402819988.png

This loaded up and did not work.
Also this did not work as it was too smooth and loaded up.
1712402893134.png

That quick strip wire brush in the above link looks tempting.

I just about got it down to a black film that thinner or Zep should take off.
I will look for the Zep Citrus Thanks @rockytoprj

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@swampratt I thought you had the carpet and a lot of the adhesive off already and that you were prepping it for another layer, whether it be carpet or a coating. Honestly, I'd be tempted to just use a chemical paint stripper in small sections if it's plugging all your abrasives. That is one nasty job though!

That Avanti is pretty knarly, it will work as long as what you are removing is pretty hard (paint, rust, etc). Don't know about a pliable rubber but it might.

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my work cut out for myself.
This is a 1996 21 foot Tracker and the owner stopped on this project many many years ago and let it die in a field.
Rock Moss has grown on the gauges and steering wheel.

The old glue and much of the black rubber carpet backing are stuck to the deck very well.

I tried solvents, oils and acid to try to remove it easily.
Nothing bothers to remove it and it could be the rubber coating that can't be eaten through.

Critters made home in the center console which was the only piece of furniture made of wood .
The rest was hard plastic.

So far scraping and even sanding with grinders and sand paper 24-36 grit and concrete leveler stones does not do much as everything wants to load up with glue or rubber.

My buddy said maybe you need to take a match to it.

AAAAHHHHHAAAAA.

I did just that after pouring gasoline on a 1 square foot area.
After the fire went out I got my scraper and the glue softened enough to allow me to scrape it right up .

I will admit it does not work on all of the spots though.
I found an 8" stiff wire wheel on an angle grinder removes the hard stuff and rubber coated glue the best.
Then you just have a tiny film to get rid of.
I may not even rid it of that film. Just rough it up so the next glue and carpet can grab and stay.

I will rebuild the console from plastics.
I have thought of total deck prep so i could paint on some gator hyde or other non slip paint but I read a review that turned me back to carpet.

The poster stated when the non slip coating was wet it was slippery and his feet shot out from under him 2 times.

Well this boat will be wet 90% of the time and in that 90% time frame catfish slime and shat slime will most likely be on the floor just like all my boats before this one.

Would really suck being tossed to the ground from slipping on what I thought was a great idea.

Anyone have any experience with projects like this or preference for flooring for catfishing boat?

View attachment 468147View attachment 468148View attachment 468149
More gasoline. A lot more. Or a 5 gallon bucket of Tannerite.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought you had the carpet and a lot of the adhesive off already and that you were prepping it for another layer, whether it be carpet or a coating.
I do have all the carpet off and a lot of the thicker adhesive off and I am prepping it.
One section of carpet the woven section pulled up but left all the rubber and some of the nylon fuzz.

So much joy.
The Zep citrus didn't do a thing to it not even the thin resin parts that you could almost see through.
I let it soak and added a second soaking and nothing.
LA totally awesome did a wee bit better but fail + fail = fail.

I mixed the 2 and still nothing is eating this 1996 applied adhesive.

More fire.
More wire grinder as that really works best.

The wire grinder removes it slowly and melts it at the same time and it gets on my pant legs.
I am on my knees doing this and got a few globs of melted rubber tossed on my knee area and I tell you what.

It's hot and will make you stand and brush it off in a hurry then it is stuck to your glove and burning through that.
Some of this mess is about .080" thick with the rubber and glue.

Fun times.
:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom