HUGE House-Shaking Earthquake just hit me in BA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We will be drilling in Kansas in a couple of weeks. So standby.

Per the Tulsa World

http://www.tulsaworld.com/earthquak...cle_2ba346d8-0045-5741-9314-36e042f6aaa5.html

UPDATE: The Oklahoma Corporation Commission has ordered the shutdown of oil and gas disposal wells within a 500 square mile area where a 5.6 magnitude earthquake was centered early Saturday in Oklahoma.

In a brief statement, the commission's spokesman indicated that it would be contacting disposal well operators to stop operations. The order will affect approximately 35 wells.

Disposal wells inject waste water — a byproduct of oil and gas drilling — deep into the ground. Scientists believe that the high volume of waste water injected into the ground has triggered Oklahoma's substantial increase in earthquakes in recent years.

According to a Tulsa World analysis in January, the volume of waste water disposed climbed 81 percent across six years, coinciding with the state’s increase in earthquakes.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just not buying the theory that injection wells caused an earthquake of this magnitude. I do, however, believe that injection wells have been the cause of the little frequent shakers that we've been experiencing for the last year or so. Those have been shallow, short-duration quakes that felt different from this big guy. (Also, they immediately subsided when injection levels were curtailed.) This was a regional seismic event and I just cannot imagine how human activities could have triggered something like that. But then, what do I know?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was lying in bed awake. By far the strongest, longest-lasting one I've ever felt and I've felt several. I don't know how you could have slept through it here in Enid! Well, OK, I remember some kids who could have slept through it when they were young.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in bed asleep when i felt it thought wife had came in and shock the bed to try to wake me since i was oversleeping my normal wakeup time but no one as around my bed so i went back to sleep and didnt know anything till later in the day.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did anyone sleep though it and miss it?
We were asleep IN bed and it woke us up in southern Mayes county. I thought it was a big truck driving by at first, but much more powerful and longer lasting. Daughter was kind of scared.

Even my mother-in-law who can sleep through an F5 tornado woke up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom