Hummingbird 2015 thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine seem to have disappeared, which is strange since I usually have at least one or two all summer long.

Haven't had much activity at all since the bad rains...wonder if that drove them off.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just opposite here. Quite a few birds; hard to count them, though. Every year at this time, I think the numbers reflect the current year's hatch. Those little suckers are sure territorial.

A couple of time this year, I have observed a hummer sit in a little tree waiting for a swarm of dog-pecker gnats. When they all gather together, he pulls right up in the middle of them and begins plucking them out of the air. They're always hungry.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine seem to have disappeared, which is strange since I usually have at least one or two all summer long.
Haven't had much activity at all since the bad rains...wonder if that drove them off.

Same here. Wen't from feast to famine really fast.
Wife thought it might have been the switch to clear nectar instead of red.
Switched back to red this weekend.
Will see.

Dave

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought that the hummingbirds were all gone. My hummingbird population reached its peak the week before Labor Day, the birds were heading south. I still had a couple every day until about 2 weeks ago and then I didn't see any at my house. I was at Mom and Dad's last Sunday and saw that they still had a couple coming to their feeder, their place is in the middle of the woods, closer to Lake Texoma. I was outside grilling some Brats for breakfast this morning and I had a ragged looking hummingbird come to my feeder, which I lazily left hanging. I went inside an mixed up a small batch of food and refilled the feeder. He is still hanging around getting fattened up I guess, for the trip on further south.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been almost a week. Sad! They were very entertaining. Saw my first example of carnivorous activity by a hummingbird this year. There was a ball of dog-pecker gnats in the backyard and a hummingbird just parked in the air next to them and had a little feast. He'd just reach out with this little beak and pluck one right out of the air. Pretty cool!

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect what we see now are those who are traveling south, stopping off for fuel. Most of their kind of flowers are out of production.

Latest posts

Top Bottom