Hunt Location Ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packrat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking for some ideas. I am looking for a location where a friend and I can take our two sons - 12 and 14 - to deer hunt. Too late and too cash strapped for a lease and sort of concerned about the numbers of people we might bump into on public land. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions on locations within a few hours of OKC where the public land might not be crowded or private land with access? Not looking for or expecting trophies, just want to get the boys introduced to bigger game.

Thanks.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always reccommend the Three Rivers/Honobia area in SE Oklahoma. Yeah, there are a lot of hunters down here, but the area is so large that is accomodating and enough room for everyone. You must have a Land Pass, ($40), but that is pretty cheap for thousands of acres of places to hunt. It isn't the easiest place in the world to hunt, but with a little scouting and woodsmanship you can be successful. Besides the hunting, the scenery is just awesome. Not what you would think of typical Oklahoma scenery. You can get maps and more information from ODWC website.

TulsaMAE

Marksman
Reaction score
Second on the Honobia creek area...Went down there a few years back, got there early afternoon. I started by walking some of the logging roads and with in the first 30 min I jumped a buck. The next day watched six does cross the road in front of me, they never saw me. Couldn't take one because of the overly conservative (IMO) doe days in that zone. One other plus is that Honobia creek and Three Rivers are open the entire gun season while most other WMA's are not.

packrat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you both for the input on Honobia. I'll need to check that out. It is a little farther than we wanted, but might make it an overnight camping trip as well to add to the unigueness of it for the boys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom