I feel sorry for my son... gone are the "good old days". :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Complains about hyperbole, makes up some hyperbole.

You're not bringing your A game today good sir.

You complain about your backyard cage not being secure enough for him because you can't lock it. You admit that you are seized by anxiety and paranoia.

The problem isn't the world... it's you. Seek counseling.

I fail to see any hyperbole I've made up... seems to me like you don't have an A-game to bring, should you want to. All you want to do is disparage others continually. Kinda like our proverbial ****-disturber on the forums.

That's ok... I got plenty of other folks on my /i list. ;)

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For years my wife and I had these same discussions which prompted us to purchase 40 acres and build a house. My grandparents lived in the country and unlike the stories here i worked ever day except for Sunday. My idea of fun was getting to us the Lincoln welder or walking for hours in the woods with a shotgun. I want my kids (5 still at home) to experience the same thing plus more. Regardless of how we skin this cat the important piece I see resonating is everybody wants to have an impact on their kids which is what is missing from most homes.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=2810#1

So really your kid is more likely to die in a car wreck than have the paranoid abduction delusion play out. But nobody here would stop driving "For the children"... no, that's insane. :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for the kids, because the parents are crippled mentally by fear.

No one is saying your kids should live in a cage. You just have to be cautious, because there are dangerous people and things in this world. There are kids that get abducted, kids that get into bad situations, etc.. when parents let their kids run loose. I think there is a balance, but when they are young you really have to keep an eye on them.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was always really funny to me growing up was all my friends' parents being so worried about them getting abducted or raped or Freddy Kruegered, but they'd give their kids Twinkies and stuff.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fail to see any hyperbole I've made up...

To be be fair, you made it seem like there is a much higher chance of a kid being raped/murdered/abducted that there was when you were a kid. It just isn't so.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0873729.html

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

The only thing different between you and your parents is your exposure to it on a broad level via the media, and your reaction to it. I gather you're in your 30's or 40's based on your posts, if so you were likely out roaming the streets during years that were statistically more dangerous than where we stand now.

People have a selective memory. We've had threads here talking about the "tension building in America" being unlike anything we have ever seen. Granted most of them were too young to have seen all that, but some of the posters agreeing with that had lived through the Cold War, Civil Rights Movement, Gas Crisis, Vietnam...the list goes on and on. I'm too young for all that stuff, but common sense tells me that for example...tension in America towards the end of Vietnam make any "tension" today seem laughable. People like to remember the old days as good, when really they are just old.

Last edited:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to say I worry more about my kids getting hit by some stupid teenager or drunk redneck while riding their bikes, much more then any abduction scenario. They ride to a friend's house in the neighborhood all the time - no helmets, no pads - just like we did as kids. I've patched one of them up at least twice after a nasty crash in front of our house. After he quit crying and the band-aids were all applied, he kind of got a kick out of his fat lip and road rash.

I worry about them with stuff like that, but that's being a father. I'll let 'em have their scars....I've got mine, and I'm OK.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we become more aware of danger around us as we get older because we gradually realize our mortality in a personal way.

When you're a teenager you are bullet proof and invincible, or at least you think you might be.
When you reach my age you are painfully aware of all the things that can go wrong in this world, and eventually will.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fail to see any hyperbole I've made up... seems to me like you don't have an A-game to bring, should you want to. All you want to do is disparage others continually. Kinda like our proverbial ****-disturber on the forums.

That's ok... I got plenty of other folks on my /i list. ;)

I quote it earlier: "If you're one of the families affected by the abduction of a child, the numbers seem pretty damned significant..."
Great hyperbole.

You want to disparage your child continually. I want to show you that you shouldn't be afraid of every blade of grass in your backyard.

Refrain from personal attacks in the future.

I think we become more aware of danger around us as we get older because we gradually realize our mortality in a personal way.

When you're a teenager you are bullet proof and invincible, or at least you think you might be.
When you reach my age you are painfully aware of all the things that can go wrong in this world, and eventually will.

coincidentally there's also some element that believes that since things have changed, they must be more dangerous.

Put it all together and you can precipitate some irrational fears.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Between the "remember when things were better" threads and the "doom and gloom conspiracy" threads, some of you seem to be bitter and miserable. It's really sad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom