Been a Tough Week but a Good Day Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've talked a little about our two Boxer dogs. 3.5 year old male and female littermates (brother and sister) Dax and Stella. We got Stella at 8 weeks old. Dax, we got because the original owners who bought him from the breeder died. He was about a year old when he came to us and reunited with his sister. He wasn't well cared for as a puppy and was a bit neglected and probably not loved much as the owner got sick with cancer not long after they got him. Fast forward, we loved him and he and my wife were inseparable. He was her shadow and he was jsut a very loving, kind, yet stoic dog.

Last Saturday, Dax was following my dad into my shop building and apparently Dax stumbled, turned and fell over on his side and died. I was down at another part of our property when this happened. My mom called frantically telling me to come back to the shop. It was only a coule minutes. By then he was gone. My father in law who's a retired Vet believes it was cardio myopathy which can affect boxers to a greater degree than other breeds. Wife was up in Tulsa and it was the most difficult call I've had to make to her in the 27 years we've been together. IT's been really tough on her, especially the first 3-4 days. Stella, her brother, didn seem to understand until a day later when she was visible sad and not herself.

After some conversation we knew we need to get another dog. Yes, it seems soon but taking into account many factors we thought it's a good time to get another dog. Went a different direction and have a deposit on a German Shepard puppy. Puppy has great bloodlines and the breeder is top notch. He'll be fully obedience and protection trained (probably up to a Level 2).

Here is our newest family member. Meet Chief!

Pic 1.jpg
Pic 5.jpg
Pic 6.jpg

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh man ... 😭😭😭😭 You may not remember this but I took a boxer (Duke) from a member (stewartglock) when he needed to find a home for him. Boxers are one of the sweetest, kindest, most adorable breeds on the planet and he was my buddy from the get-go. We played catch in the front yard every evening back when Grumpy was working swing shifts. That poor dog wad absolutely TERRIFIED of storms but as long as I would let him on the foot of the bed and he could lay his head on my feet he was okay. Anyway, he did the same thing. Ran to catch his ball, stopped, turned to look at me with that stump of a tail wagging 900 mph and fell over dead. 😭😭😭😭 I STILL miss that guy! He had SO much personality.

Anyway ... 😭😭😭😭😭

That's a beautiful puppy!! Congrats! (And remember Jackie, my schutzhund champ?? You will NOT be sorry you get Chief that protection training. Dogs with that training are really special! 💖💖)

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Parks 788
I can’t express how sorry I am about Dax. It sounds like y’all really turned his life around and made his short time here the best possible.

Some people see bringing another pup into the family so soon as disrespectful, but I believe dogs have empathy and would want us to do what’s needed to fill the void in our lives.
Chief will never know how lucky he is to have y’all. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom