I got shot yesterday! Twice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With an Airsoft pistol, that is. :rollingla

We did Rapid Response/Active Shooter training with the O.S.B.I. yesterday and Wednesday.

Very informative and realistic training.

Needless to say, for those that have met me, I put a rather "large" target out there for the bad guys. It's a wonder I only got shot twice. :ugh2:

One thing I hate to say about some of the other other officers in my county is their lack of firearms training and practice. :disappoin

Some guys did great. Others? Mmm...not so much. :nono1:

During one particular drill, it was a walk and shoot scenario with the instructor yelling out commands such as "gun!" or "threat!" or "friendly!" just to keep you on your toes. Some of us shot the friendly when we weren't suppossed to. :rolleyes2

But the one command that struck me as odd because I was the only one doing it was when he shouted out "mag change!" Most all of us did do a mag change instead of shooting the target, but everybody except for me (according to one of the line instructors) did a tactical reload while I did an administrative reload.

For those of you that don't know the difference, let me explain.

A tactical reload is when you dump a mag, whether it's full, partially full or empty, to the ground and charge the weapon with a fresh magazine.

An administrative reload is when you have a few rounds remaining in the mag, you draw a spare mag from it's pouch, index it, bring it up to your weapon instead of around your mid section. Remember - eyes/muzzle/target! Then, with the partial magazine still in the pistol, you do what I call a cigar grip of the fresh mag (move your index finger around to the other side of the mag gripping it like you would a cigar) eject the partial mag into your hand and SLAM the fresh mag into the pistol. DO NOT BABY THAT WEAPON WHEN YOU INSERT THAT FRESH MAGAZINE. If you don't think your weapon can handle you slamming that mag home - get rid of it and find a combat worthy weapon.

Then, with the partial mag in your hand, that you just ejected from your pistola, you have two options.

If you are wearing a single mag pouch, simply return that partial mag back to the empty pouch.

If you are using a double or triple mag pouch, stow that partial mag in a pocket somewhere so you will have it for later (if needed) and it won't get mixed in with a full magazine.

Anyway...I'm a big advocate of the administrative mag change when feasible and prudent. Meaning if you have cover and concealment and a break in the action, go ahead and top off your weapon with a fresh, full mag and save that precious handfull of rounds in the partial mag for later.

If you are hard charging, dodging bullets and engaging the bad guy at full throttle...probably better just dump it and go. I just hate to leave 6 or 7 lifesaving rounds on the ground. 'Cause once they are dropped, they are gone forever. :bye:

Oh well...had a blast yesterday and I encourage any of my fellow LEOs out there to take this training if you have never had it. If you have had it and the opportunity arrises - take it again! Remember, practice makes perfect. :police2:

Are you ready?

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
good info, but youre wrong on you reload nomenclature, spanky.:)

An admin reload is when youre on the firing line or some other training event, and you perform a reload under safe conditions; eithere while the gun is still in the holster, or when you are at the line, hot, and not undergoing any particular drill.

A speed reload is what you called a "tactical" one; thats something else Ill cover in a sec. When you reload and the mag hits the ground, whether its partial or empty, is a speed reload. This is THE fastest reload, but it gives no thought to reserve or spare ammunition levels.

The tactical reload is one where you bring a fresh magazine up to the gun, swap the old mag for the new, with the one hand, at the gun, and retain the old mag in a pocket of properly stages in the back of your pouches. You do this behind cover, or when not necessarily under fire.

The reload with retention is where you remove the mag, stow it, then bring up a fresh magazine. Its slightly faster than the tactical relaod, but also slightly stupider; in that the gun has the longest amount of time that youve only got the one round in the chamber to use. Also performed behind cover or in a lull.

I suppose you can break it forther down my adding the slide lock reload; which is really just a speed reload , followed by chambering the gun by hitting the slide stop, or by bringing the slide to the rear manually and letting it go

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am scheduled for that class in August. Retaining ammo is always a good idea. Reloading a working weapon while still in contact is questionable. Need to practice all kinds of reloads and stoppages. Getting shot in training is the best way to learn some valuable lessons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom