I have this old knife thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought a thread about old knives we have but don't know much about would be fun.

I'll start.
I have this old knife. It is marked in cursive on the blade, (Cattaraugus) and under that is 225Q. Looking that model number up says it is a fighting knife but the blade on mine is highly modified.

I found it in dad's WWII kit along with his Nambu and Japanese bayonet and Japanese soldier good luck flag from Okinawa and Mindanao.

I haven't done anything to it but sharpen it. The false hook blade is fairly sharp and the knife looks as if a rough grinder was used on it.

It is a fixed blade 5.5 inches with a 4.5 inch stacked leather handle. The pommel seems to be missing except for the staked metal washer.

This one with the apparent history written on the back is $500+.

I am supposing the extreme modification really detracts from this knife. I would like to know a lot more about this is possible.

Thanks!

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3943.PNG

IMG_3942.JPG

Last edited:

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this from a person who gave me the phone number from the person they got it from. When I called the number, I spoke to a lady who told me it had belonged to her Grand Father. She said he made it while in France fighting the Germans in WWl. The blade is 5.5in long, handle is 4in long.

Attachments

• 20230901_005705.jpg
    20230901_005705.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230901_005719.jpg
    20230901_005719.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you! That is a great write up. Mine sure is a crossbreed, isn't it? It looks like it has the guard of a Ka Bar installed in reverse, He also heavily clipped the front blade but notice he didn't bring it to a really narrow point, he left some meat on it to keep it from breaking.

I also know the leather was restacked because it is newer and thicker than the originals I see pictured. He apparently lost the two washers to complete the pommel so it is welded and ground down a bit. The handguard is a little loose probably because the leathers shrunk.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought this from a person who gave me the phone number from the person they got it from. When I called the number, I spoke to a lady who told me it had belonged to her Grand Father. She said he made it while in France fighting the Germans in WWl. The blade is 5.5in long, handle is 4in long.
Is that a US stamp on your blade?

1693578688786.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom