I just found the best broadhead ever!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aint no way I would shoot that broadhead in the first post. Slick Tricks for me. All steel ferule, razor sharp out of the package, and fly like a field point. They ALL say that but with the Tricks its the truth. Besides that they will flat out punch a hole in a deer. Even on the dreaded shoulder blade shot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were to shoot a fixed blade... I'd say those G5 Montec's look pretty flipping sweet.

Bought the Montec G5 125 grain a couple of years ago when shooting a vertical bow.
Went on an archery only hog hunt in SE Ok.
The guy had free ranging hogs, and had feeders and stands set up. I couldn't get a shot on the hogs at the feeder as they were so spastic.
Walked thru the woods, until seeing a line of hogs coming at me. It was close to dark and I had the wind.
The first sow, stopped just short of the clearing at 20 yds, knowing something was up, but just stood there. The young boar came around her, and she came open. Took the shot, and hit a limb I didn't see, and the arrow ended up with a Texas Heart Shot on the small boar that went in front of her.
Even with the deflection, the G5 smashed through 2 vertabra, and stuck in the third. I couldn't pull the shaft out, so it was unscrewed from the broadhead, and recovered later.
The broadhead is still sharp enough to be used again after all of that punishment.
It sits proudly on my desk at work.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P9020003.jpg

I hate this pic. I'm about 30 lb lighter
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P9020004.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v237_dennishoddy1_P9100285.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v237_dennishoddy1_P9100284.jpg

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Steelforce. I shot a deer a couple years ago with one, right on the shoulder. Cut through the shoulder blade like butter, blew threw the other side and stuck in the dirt. Deer ran about 15 yards. The broadhead was still usable. The frontquarters were almost ruined. Looked like it had been shot with a 243. My dad told be to turn my bow down. LOL!!!

awww.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com_images_steel_20force_20premium_204_blade_20stainless_20broadheads.jpg

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been using Slick Tricks for the last 4 years. I have shot 8 deer with them (6 does, 2 bucks) and I have found all of them with excellent blood trails. 2 of the 6 went clear through both shoulders.

By the way, 3 of them were killed with the same head (just sharpened).

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been using Slick Tricks for the last 4 years. I have shot 8 deer with them (6 does, 2 bucks) and I have found all of them with excellent blood trails. 2 of the 6 went clear through both shoulders.

Slick tricks are the best head I've seen out there. I'm shooting the 125 grain mags and they fly like darts!!

Reaction score
doctorjj, those steelforce look good. I always surmised that the ones that are longer/pointier like that have a longer cutting surface (even if not wider), and maybe that helps. The older broadheads from 30/40/50/60 years ago seemed to be mostly of the longer design.

I do have 3 of the Aftershock Archery "Hypershock HS125" 2.75" diameter 2-blade mechanicals with aluminum chisel point, and would like to try one of these on a turkey. I keep one in the quiver for this reason. But for deer, no way I'm risking it with any kind of mechanical.

http://www.aftershockarchery.com/hypershock.aspx?product=3

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tuned and tuned and tuned my bow and still can't get thunderheads to group with my field tips. They work great on game and group well. I used them one year and loved the results but I got sick of having to practice with broadheads.

Thunderheads are reasonably price and they are deer killers. I had fits last year trying to get my heads to fly with my points but ended up getting it to with about an inch or so of the same. I have looked at using others but just can't bring myself to it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Bought the Montec G5 125 grain a couple of years ago when shooting a vertical bow.
Went on an archery only hog hunt in SE Ok.
The guy had free ranging hogs, and had feeders and stands set up. I couldn't get a shot on the hogs at the feeder as they were so spastic.
Walked thru the woods, until seeing a line of hogs coming at me. It was close to dark and I had the wind.
The first sow, stopped just short of the clearing at 20 yds, knowing something was up, but just stood there. The young boar came around her, and she came open. Took the shot, and hit a limb I didn't see, and the arrow ended up with a Texas Heart Shot on the small boar that went in front of her.
Even with the deflection, the G5 smashed through 2 vertabra, and stuck in the third. I couldn't pull the shaft out, so it was unscrewed from the broadhead, and recovered later.
The broadhead is still sharp enough to be used again after all of that punishment.
It sits proudly on my desk at work.

Whoa! That's impressive! Did you have to tune your bow for the Montec's or did they group with your field points?

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I've heard great things about the Slick Tricks as well... They have quite a following on AT.

Latest posts

Top Bottom