I just noticed something...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I draw and aim my handgun, I drop my right (strong) shoulder pretty hard and raise my left (support) shoulder. I don't know why it is that I do this, but it seems like a very hard habbit to break for some reason - I can draw and present properly 30 times in a row watching myself in a mirror and if I turn away and do it 2 more times, I catch myself doing it again.

I was told by a friend to (first make sure the gun is clear) and then practice drawing and presenting to a mirror and take aim at the reflection of myself (center of mass). Its helping me with my grip and proper stance, but its showing me a few things I do wrong that I never knew.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Try to assume your shooting stance before the draw. Dont move your head during the draw; go for smooth, rather than fast. If you practice fast, youll never be able to correct the mechanics youre wanting to tweak. If your shooting weaver, I think a little shoulder drop is going to happen, same with drawing from concealment or while moving off the "x".. I learn more by watching my draws in a mirror sideways. It helps me get the gun up and then out, as opposed to bowling the gun out, or casting it like a fishing pole.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try to assume your shooting stance before the draw. Dont move your head during the draw; go for smooth, rather than fast. If you practice fast, youll never be able to correct the mechanics youre wanting to tweak. If your shooting weaver, I think a little shoulder drop is going to happen, same with drawing from concealment or while moving off the "x".. I learn more by watching my draws in a mirror sideways. It helps me get the gun up and then out, as opposed to bowling the gun out, or casting it like a fishing pole.

mike; when ya coming back to town again?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Haha - I just got through watching Magpul Dynamics Art of Dynamic Handgun, so I actually know what bowling/casting is :D

Thanks for the input man.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haha - I just got through watching Magpul Dynamics Art of Dynamic Handgun, so I actually know what bowling/casting is :D

Thanks for the input man.

I first heard those two terms in the recent ACP class held by TDSA. Marshall just mentioned them in passing, but I got a chuckle out of it ;)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah ok - so I'm not going to lie, I haven't even gotten all the way though Art of Dynamic Handgun yet (had to stop it most of the way through it the other night before I could finish it) and I went to the range tonight and put some of the mechanics-corrections to the test and damn...

I may be ready to shoot a match pretty soon (I've never shot a pistol match due to my hand-gun inferiority complex). I've always felt that the pistol was a mystery that eluded me to get proficient with (I could always shoot, but I was doing a great number of things wrong and couldn't get over a certain hump of limitation).

Watching Todd Jarett Youtube videos and looking at various free online teaching aids has been good, but there's a ton of little things that you miss out in going the cheap route. The Magpul Dynamics videos are very good.

I always felt like I could shoot well enough that the basic pistol courses at TDSA were too expensive to justify since I already knew the basics (or thought I did) and yet I probably wasn't good enough to take a more advanced class without looking like the goofy guy who didn't know what he was doing.

I'm finding out more and more that I could have gone the simple route and taken one of those beginner classes and saved myself some wasted ammo and training scars (and time spent re-learning things).

Carbines / bolt-guns have always felt easier to me than handguns, but its really kind of cool to begin to get the hang of pistols to the point that I feel proficient enough to do most of what I want to do on the range during a training session.

Now I find myself doing those things faster, or under more pressure until something goes wrong and then seeing how I handle those situations.

Its like a revelation - handguns are finally fun now.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always felt like I could shoot well enough that the basic pistol courses at TDSA were too expensive to justify since I already knew the basics (or thought I did) and yet I probably wasn't good enough to take a more advanced class without looking like the goofy guy who didn't know what he was doing.

Take one...you will not be sorry.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EZB, come out to USSA on the 1st Sunday of the month and join us for the steel challenge. Its low pressure, inexpensive, you will draw & shoot, and most of all you will have a good time. If you join the FGST for the June match I'll buy your breakfast.

Disclaimer: I can't be held responsible for the match addiction that will follow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom