I received a S&W Model 19 (357)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like it just the way it is. It's a tribute to 1970s law enforcement. Most every cop and highway patrolman had one just like it on his side. But I'm just a nostalgic old dude so what do I know?

If I owned the gun the only place I would let re-blue it would be S&W and I would have to think pretty hard about doing that. Once it is reblued with new grips, the gun loses its identity and becomes just another Model 19. As it is it tells lots of stories.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good reblue job from S&W with shipping is nearly 200 bucks and the gun would then be worth about $500. Currently it might be worth $300 so it doesn't help matters much, but the M-19 is one of the great guns of all time and everyone should own one.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
J&G Sales is still running .38's on sale from $189 to $259 depending on model and condition and they are stainless. I'd be very hard pressed to go over $275 for this model 19 and at that, it would have to have ZERO mechanical issues and have a nice shiny bore and chambers.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well its a well used model 19, as stated above its pinned and recessed. It does have a target hammer, but not a target trigger, so there is a possibility that this was changed. As you stated the action feels really smooth, its either from an action job, or lots of shooting. The one pic with the cylinder open shows the forcing cone, doesn't looked to be to worn, a better pic of it and the bottom of the top strap right above the cone would help determine use. Where the cylinder is open, and the markings on the frame will show model 19 and if its a dash, which one. Take the grips off and see if they are numbered to the gun, I don't think they are, but could be wrong.

To check the timing; "Do this with the gun unloaded!!!!!!!!"
Cock the hammer back slowly an watch the cylinder in rotation to see if it locks up right before the hammer locks all the way back. Once this is done, while the hammer is back, check the cylinder for movement by trying to rotate. It should not move of move very little side to side. Then drop the hammer holding the trigger all the way back and try to move the cylinder again same as before. Now try it on all six chambers. If they are all snug an there is also little movement front to back, then she's in good shooting shape.

As stated above by others reblueing isn't going to increase value, even if you have S&W do it. Now if your planning on keeping her as something your going to use, or pass down, then its up to you if you want it put back like new again. Plus we will need a serial number along with dash number if there is one to be able to date her with the SW catalog.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like ldp4570 said, check the timing and lockup. Also, what "dash" model is it? Inside, where it says MOD 19 it should have a -1 or -2 or -3. I'm thinking the -3 was the very last year they made P&R revolvers.

Like everybody else, I'm thinking $300-$350 as is.

If I had that, I'd gladly take her off your hands. ;)

GoArmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Reminds me of the Antiques Roadshow TV show - some fellow has a chest that he was very pleased about refinishing the chest. Then the host shared with the fellow that it was a very nice refinishing job. BUT if he has left the original finish and color on the chest it would have been worth 3 times as much. Guns can be the same way.

If you want to refinish the pistol to make it look sharper for you... it's yours go ahead. But is resale is the plan. I would just clean it up and sell as is.

K9346

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J&G Sales is still running .38's on sale from $189 to $259 depending on model and condition and they are stainless. I'd be very hard pressed to go over $275 for this model 19 and at that, it would have to have ZERO mechanical issues and have a nice shiny bore and chambers.

Those S&Ws that J&G has are NOT Model 19s.

I too have a M19-4 that is P&Red with a black front blade, it is probably worth $450-$550 in the condition it's in. These things have only gone up in value recently.

For a good estimate on your M19's value, i would take it over to the experts at the S&W Forum and post some pics over there with a value request, you may even get some offers then. Good luck, and do not refinish it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those S&Ws that J&G has are NOT Model 19s.

I too have a M19-4 that is P&Red with a black front blade, it is probably worth $450-$550 in the condition it's in. These things have only gone up in value recently.

For a good estimate on your M19's value, i would take it over to the experts at the S&W Forum and post some pics over there with a value request, you may even get some offers then. Good luck, and do not refinish it.

I realize that. They are Model 64's and not worth as much as a combat magnum. Most of them have bobbed hammers and are DAO. But they are stainless which a 19 is not.

Firearms Catalog lists a Mod. 19 in GC at $200; VG at $350; EXC at $500; and NIB at $600. I would rate the O/P's between GC and VG based on the pics he posted and pretty close to GC.

The model 19 isn't any kind of rare bird. There are gazillions of them out there. Great gun? Yes. Rare? No. Based on the Catalog's valuation and J&G's pricing of a lessor model you can kind of figure out where real world value is. I'm not seeing much of an increase in value here. Maybe at the gunshows, but I don't buy at their crazy pricing...

Latest posts

Top Bottom