I think I've found my next rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rckitbuilder

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After my visit to the OKCGC Range today (600 yrd match), I'm pumped. Can't afford a custom gun right now (for the long range target shooting), but several have recommended the Savage with accu-trigger. Several have mentioned the model 10 with the HS Percision Stock but one of the guys today mentioned the one I think I want. Its the Model 12 FTR 308 with the 30 inch barrel. Your thoughts?

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The model 12 is basically Savages attempt at building a rifle for the most accuracy. Regular Savage actions are accurate. So the model 12 is sweet. You are looking at a better rifle than the Model 10, if you got the dough it is the one you want.

Evan

rckitbuilder

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The model 12 is basically Savages attempt at building a rifle for the most accuracy. Regular Savage actions are accurate. So the model 12 is sweet. You are looking at a better rifle than the Model 10, if you got the dough it is the one you want.

Evan

If I'm correct, I think its only going to run me about $200 more the the 10 with the HS Precision Stock. I like that its Stainless to.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC, something you may want to consider is that the 12 FTR is single shot, not a repeater like the 10. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my impression from what I've read.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot some of the model 12's are single shot some aren't, do your homework cause that makes a big difference based on preference.

Evan

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hm you might contact Steve Baldwin I believe Savage makes a "F class" gun with a 30'' barrel and chambered in 6.5x284. I've even thought about buying one.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the F class gun Retails a bit over a grand, but it is still the cheapest way to start and be competitive.

Evan

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Savage is a great gun to get started with. I went with the Rem 700PSS because it's easy to upgrade it. All I did was lighten the trigger and do a little sanding on the HS-Precision stock and it will shoot under .5MOA with my handloads. IMO good glass is just as (if not more) important than the rifle. Get a top quality scope, find the right load, and you'll be good to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom