I Told You They Weren't Paying Our Military Enough

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today's Military is better paid than what is reflected in the actual pay charts. Base pay+BAH+Rations+clothing allowance= good money.
Example: An E-6 Staff Sergeant at Fort Sill w/ 10yrs service makes a total of $5,114.00 a month if married. $61,370.00 a year is not bad money at all. Add to that the fact that if they retire at 20 years without further promotion, they will receive $1925.85 a month for the rest of their life, $23,110.00 a year. Furthermore this does not include any VA entitlements based on injuries or Educational benefits received through the various GI type bills. Never gonna get rich as a Soldier, but you can be more than comfortable in the end.

This is all public record @ 2017 pay rates.

David
I think they make more than they should. My first paycheck in 1985 was $385.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I retired three years ago this February, so roughly 5-6% less. I served 24 years 5 months and 3 days and I am more than thankful for the retirement.
I retired 11 years ago. I make $1000 more a month than I ever expected to make. That amount is after they take out for healthcare, survivors benefit, and life insurance. The healthcare is worth its weight in gold compared to what my coworkers pay for their dependents.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AIR FORCE CHAPLAIN BUSTED FOR SHOPLIFTING IN
GERMANY - MUSLIM CLERIC CPT SHARIOR RAHMAN
FOUND GUILTY OF STEALING GROCERIES FROM AN
EDEKA STORE IN HAMBURG - ALSO FOR SAME
CRIME AT RAMSTEIN BASE - AMERICANS LET HIM
OFF WITH NO CHARGE - POLITICAL CORRECTNESS,
PERHAPS? - WOULD A CATHOLIC OR PROTESTANT
CHAPLAIN GOT OFF SO EASY? - www.Militarycorruption.com

Double Standards?

Don't want to piss off the Islams. They might get angry, and try to kill us.

My question, why are Islams allowed in the military in the first place ? The religion is completely incompatible with our way of life.

And, when I went in (1978), pay for E-1 was just under $400/month. That was before deductions. I was lucky to end up with $300 for the month, usually less.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lived in the barracks and was paid $78.00 per month and paid taxes and Social Security plus 50 cents to the Old Soldier's Home. When we complain about the salaries in those days we have to remember wha the cost of living was then. Haircuts were 50 cents, and if I remember correctly, one could buy great, greasy hamburgers 5 for $1.00. Gas was around 25 cents per gallon... When I left for the military I bought pair of Levis at Langstons for $4.90!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived in the barracks and was paid $78.00 per month and paid taxes and Social Security plus 50 cents to the Old Soldier's Home. When we complain about the salaries in those days we have to remember wha the cost of living was then. Haircuts were 50 cents, and if I remember correctly, one could buy great, greasy hamburgers 5 for $1.00. Gas was around 25 cents per gallon... When I left for the military I bought pair of Levis at Langstons for $4.90!

Sadly, I can't remember exactly what I earned as an E-1 back in 1966. I do remember getting to spend time in D.C. while on TDY. When I'd go to town for sightseeing, my meals were 19-cent hamburgers at McDonalds. That's partly why I can't stand McD's today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom