Idiots at public auction.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Duh! Your supposed too. They are fundraisers. Anything paid over a certain point is tax deductable.
The whole reason for the event is to raise money, not give you a bargain.

Say your going to donate $500 to DU. Do you cut them a check or go to the Banquet and over pay for a shotgun? The choice is yours.
I know I was being factitious..Iust wanted to see who would catch it.Good eye

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Say your going to donate $500 to DU. Do you cut them a check or go to the Banquet and over pay for a shotgun? The choice is yours.

Just for curiosity sakes, and not to stir the pot. I was under the assumption that everything up to the actual value of the item being auctioned was tax deductible and everything over that was just you being gracious?? Like I said, just being curios about this.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to a public auction recently. They had 15 to 20 guns up for sale. All were in great shape, but still used. I thought, hey might get a good deal here as it looked like a bunch of rednecks and farmers. WOW!! is all I can say. First one up for sale was a Golden Boy .22. You can buy one for what, around $350 brand new. Went for $600..... you read that correctly.... $600.:yikes2: Most of them went for new price and higher. Bunch of complete idiots.

It's not just the public auctions ... people everywhere are just daft now ...

The neighbor and I were talking last night about the last time we went to the mall or really any place that we didn't absolutely HAVE to go ... She's like me ... Go to Sam's, get what you need for the month, pay the bills online or mail a check, and stay the hell home. :P

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One younger guy, probably under 30, asked me if I thought he got a good deal. He bought a pretty beat up Ruger P90 with out a mag for $550. He thought the big smile on my face was an affirmative, little did he know it was just all I could do to hold back the laughter.

They did have to fill out the 4473 there. It was defenitely an experience. On the other hand, by father-in-law got a good plow for about half what it was worth.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to go to lots of auctions, I usually went with the plan of purchasing an item listed in the auction flyer. I knew how much the item was new, the aprox. value that the item was selling for, and most importantly how much I was willing to give for the item. I would bid the item up to the amount that I had decided on, if it went higher, I let it go to someone else. Sometimes I lost, sometimes I won, but I never faulted the person selling the item for getting the most out of it they could. Auction fever gets to a lot of people and they will overbid, that is why they have auctions instead of selling items at a fixed price.By the way some of us here might resemble the rednecks and farmers the OP mentioned.:Heya:

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well said briarcreekguy as a seller an auction comes with risk and reward. a deal for the buyer is most likely not a deal for the seller (unless he just wants it off his hands) so if they get a reward so be it. thats the nature of an auction...

Latest posts

Top Bottom