100% DAV sales/excise tax exemptions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerdown51

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this is not what I thought. I got a new car and went to the old tag office to get it registered and a new title. I had my exemption letter for the every 3 year excise tax exemption so no problem there.

The problem came in when I needed to do the sales tax exemption. A lot of folks think that you get to exempt $25k of sales tax. According to the tag off that isn’t exactly correct. They said you don’t pay any taxes on up to $25k of purchases. The new car was $36k so I had to tell them how much of the $25k to allocate to the new car. That of course lessens what you can buy if you allocate too much to that purchase and also how much tax you’ll pay to them on the car.

If you are a 100% DAV keep that in mind. They’ll get their money one way or another.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my car tags are under 9.00 a year

What are my Oklahoma Military and Veterans Department of Public Safety Related Benefits?

Free Oklahoma Driver License for 100% Disabled Veterans:
Disabled Veterans who have a 100% permanent and total service-connected disability rating (or are receiving compensation at the 100% rate) from the VA are eligible for a waiver of fees for a new, renewed or replacement Oklahoma driver license.

Oklahoma Reduced Vehicle Registration for Disabled Veterans: Veterans who have a 50% or greater service-connected disability are eligible for a reduced rate on annual registration. Veterans must use the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs, Online State Benefit Request Form to request a 599 Card as proof of eligibility. Sales Tax is due at time of registration unless using a sales tax exemption. For more information, please contact the nearest Oklahoma Tag Agent Office.

https://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Benefit-Library/State/Territory-Benefits/Oklahoma#Public Safety

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well this is not what I thought. I got a new car and went to the old tag office to get it registered and a new title. I had my exemption letter for the every 3 year excise tax exemption so no problem there.

The problem came in when I needed to do the sales tax exemption. A lot of folks think that you get to exempt $25k of sales tax. According to the tag off that isn’t exactly correct. They said you don’t pay any taxes on up to $25k of purchases. The new car was $36k so I had to tell them how much of the $25k to allocate to the new car. That of course lessens what you can buy if you allocate too much to that purchase and also how much tax you’ll pay to them on the car.

If you are a 100% DAV keep that in mind. They’ll get their money one way or another.
You taught me something. Had no idea. Probably a good idea to lease a vehicle from now on. I own the vehicle I have now, but I usually lease. I’ll lease for 3 years, so I have a vehicle warranty the whole time I drive it. Then I sell the leased vehicle to Carmax and go get another. Lowers my monthly payment and usually comes up even by the time I sell.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

And the additional 1.6% sales tax, sorry, we know the state law makes everything other than fuel, tobacco and alcohol tax exempt, you still have to pay the 1.6%.

Reed4ammo

Thrash Panda Supreme
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I'd be calling my VA Rep in Muskogee. I'm 100% but haven't bought a vehicle worth using the letter for... something sounds kinda ****y... If you dont get the answer you want then reach out to your congress person. I wouldn't just accept it and go on.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the 25k sales tax exemption limit per calander year or 12 month period? I just got my card and like a dummy I didnt ask when I was sitting at the desk while she printed it off. I am currently in the que for a call-back from OTC but I am not holding out hope that I will actually be called back.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the 25k sales tax exemption limit per calander year or 12 month period? I just got my card and like a dummy I didnt ask when I was sitting at the desk while she printed it off. I am currently in the que for a call-back from OTC but I am not holding out hope that I will actually be called back.
From my understanding it is calendar year. Though I could be wrong

Latest posts

Top Bottom