If you were in charge of OK deer season...........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bassin here's a link. A two day non resident license is 46.50 deer tags are extra. I've hunted near oakdale and Turlock and it's kinda fun. Hot as hell but not unlike wyoming antelope hunting the first part of September. I won't go back to California ever agin though. Way to much bs and lots of non hunting friendly yuppies. Most guys I know who live there hunt elsewhere or do the right thing and move somewhere else.
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Hunting

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.
Yeah but you can't hunt deer on the 2 day non resident license. You have to get the non resident hunting license at $161.49 plus buy a non resident deer tag application at $272.65 then select up to 3 choices for a draw hunt. I looked into this and researched it some, before posting the questions.

OSA non resident members, keep in mind you few are not the only non residents who come to Oklahoma hunting and specifically I may not be addressing ANY of you in my posts.
My whole point is Oklahoma has a large influx of non residents because of a few reasons. Cheap and easy, we don't have a draw system or a quota of tags. Over the counter sales of licenses until the land is barren of deer, if enough people want to buy them. The price of land and leases are CHEAPER than other states, and once again non resident tags are guaranteed to be obtainable. Of course we also have family as a reason, it is part of some family traditions to come back and hunt with the family.

It is not that I don't want to pay the money for hunting. I have a good paying job and definitely spend a sizeable amount on my hunting hobby. 10 or 20 years down the road, I don't want us Okies to be standing here like many in other states saying what happened. Um lets look into hunting in (fill in the blank).

I will say I think Oklahoma Game and Fish should try and preserve some of Oklahoma wildlife for the residents of Oklahoma!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand. The part in red says one thing, yet you say you don't need to shoot a spike hightlighted in the blue.

I don't understand what you mean in the green in relationship with what you said in the two previous sentences.

I acknowledged that out of state hunters aren't the only problem. I said that the check station owners that I know said that the out of state hunters that checked in did so, and made comments to them that they didn't want to go home empty handed. If they like you wanted to see super bucks, they wouldn't have taken home fork horns.

First off, I would hope anyone that hears that comment from a non resident or even a resident hunter would be verbally assaulted for saying they didn't want to go home empty handed. Hunters CAN make the best conservationist and stewards of the land and it's game animals.

To your highlighted questions: Obviously I'm not an expert and most here have much more experience than I hunting deer in OK. No matter the state one is hunting in, to me, it seems that to grow great quality older bucks in your population you can't keep killing the small and young bucks in the name of putting food on the table. Do you take a few more does in stead of the fork horn? Do you try to hunt a few more hours or days and attempt to shoot a better, older buck to put food on the table and if an older buck does present a shot you them take what you can to feed the family?IDK. Maybe regulation is not part of the equation but rather education by the hunting community and ODW on how to manage the herd more effectively?

Maybe a system where the poor or individuals whom require assistance (if proven) have more discretion on the age/sex of deer taken? Maybe one would have to "get into the head" of a subsistence hunter to find out how they select the deer they do to put food on the table? Knowing how they think compared to the common deer hunter would help formulate new regulations or adjust what is already on the books?

Aside from anything else I have said I ask you a question (anyone please answer). Can you effectively manage a deer herd in a given region or state to produce large quality bucks if too many spikes, fork horns and other young bucks are shot every year? My answer would be, no you can't. What say you?

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would leave the current regulations as is, not gonna type them out for everyone.

Dont need to get rid of the magazine restrictions for .223, if ya cant kill it with whats allowed under current law then you need to step up in caliber.

Dont need antler restrictions. The state of Oklahoma isn't a hunting lease, lease long term and manage your own ****.

Earn a buck is a dumb idea. Its very dependent upon local conditions and I for one would just turn in two ghost doe on the bullsh!t e-check system we have in order to be able to shoot either sex when something came into my killbox.

I would be fine with banning crossbows like it used to be during archery and would be fine with traditional muzzleloader only, without optics during black powder.:twocents:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont need to get rid of the magazine restrictions for .223, if ya cant kill it with whats allowed under current law then you need to step up in caliber.
I don't think anyone wants to spray'n'pray at deer, they just don't want to have to buy a special magazine (or modify one they have) just for this--particularly when you can put an upper that doesn't have a .22 bore on the same rifle and use whatever magazine you want.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
deer.JPG

I would protect this deer and let him die of old age, I want these genetics to spread throughout the state.... and eventually country. Just saying.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off, I would hope anyone that hears that comment from a non resident or even a resident hunter would be verbally assaulted for saying they didn't want to go home empty handed. Hunters CAN make the best conservationist and stewards of the land and it's game animals.

To your highlighted questions: Obviously I'm not an expert and most here have much more experience than I hunting deer in OK. No matter the state one is hunting in, to me, it seems that to grow great quality older bucks in your population you can't keep killing the small and young bucks in the name of putting food on the table. Do you take a few more does in stead of the fork horn? Do you try to hunt a few more hours or days and attempt to shoot a better, older buck to put food on the table and if an older buck does present a shot you them take what you can to feed the family?IDK. Maybe regulation is not part of the equation but rather education by the hunting community and ODW on how to manage the herd more effectively?

Maybe a system where the poor or individuals whom require assistance (if proven) have more discretion on the age/sex of deer taken? Maybe one would have to "get into the head" of a subsistence hunter to find out how they select the deer they do to put food on the table? Knowing how they think compared to the common deer hunter would help formulate new regulations or adjust what is already on the books?

Aside from anything else I have said I ask you a question (anyone please answer). Can you effectively manage a deer herd in a given region or state to produce large quality bucks if too many spikes, fork horns and other young bucks are shot every year? My answer would be, no you can't. What say you?

Maybe a system where the poor or individuals whom require assistance (if proven) have more discretion on the age/sex of deer taken? Maybe one would have to "get into the head" of a subsistence hunter to find out how they select the deer they do to put food on the table? Knowing how they think compared to the common deer hunter would help formulate new regulations or adjust what is already on the books

I'm sorry your mind doesn't grasp the concept of a true meat/subsistence hunter. But to enlighten you yes they do still exist I don't know a % of Oklahoma hunters that are dependent upon venison but it would be more than you think. And what goes through their minds IF they follow the letter of the law is precisely this thought. Is this a legal deer ? It has absolutely nothing to do with trophy quality or age (they're more apt to shoot a young one) there's a reason why many of them don't seek govt assistance and a larger part of that is independent spirit and pride. I grew up in a family that was dependent on wild game of any type for meat. Squirrel rabbit turkey deer bear pig etc. we ate lots of it along with fish and crawfish. (I grew up in Arkansas ) and know a couple of families today who struggle with food cost. And deer and wild pork is a big part of their diet. I'm sorry you don't wish to be live that that's still a part of the world we live in but it truly dose exist. And you're right about regulation not being the answer but rather education to better the deer herd in Oklahoma. The shoot a doe and let young bucks grow campaigns have helped. I don't fill my buck tag every year as I'm really selective. But you bet your ass I'm going to try and fill both of my rifle tags and the holiday bonus tag. I'm very fortunate to have lots of acres of land to hunt and the doe numbers are out of balance in my area. Trophy quality is here as well few people hunt in my area and we have a neighbor that has five sections and not only doesn't allow hunting but reports any suspicious activity around as well. But some bucks don't have the genetics to get big we have lots of quality feed in parts of the state but we will never compete with Kansas and most Midwestern states for true trophy quality with our lack of agricultural crops like those in the corn belt have. I truly believe that we in parts of Oklahoma the doe harvest is too low and buck harvest is higher than it should be. I also agree that we need to slow down the influx of out of state hunters. I myself hunt at least one other state every year. Primarily colorado for elk and on the years I draw a tag elsewhere that's where I'll hunt as well. So I understand the frustration of the draw and the expense involved as well. I also know how tag soup tastes because of not seeing a legal animal or holding out for something bigger and not connecting. And bassin you asked about how a point restriction could help I grew up in Arkansas and they implemented a three point rule when I was about 14 and in our part of the state it helped limited agricultural use primarily a mix of pine and hardwoods. It has since been changed to a four point rule. Ultimately management comes down to hunters and judging age is of far more importance than antler size. A 4.5 yo basket rack is more than likely not getting any bigger. There really isn't a way to fairly restrict age on a deer at the odw level. It must come down to us to do so. And the neighbor that doesn't care well that's his choice county state and world theirs only three kinds of fair. There needs to be some changes made to our current regulations and unless we as hunters and conservationists voice out opinions the elected officials will take the recommendations of a few that don't know what someone not from their region/district needs.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom