Illinois State's Attorney gets all Second Amendmenty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have Blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An Illinois State's Attorney has announced he will no longer prosecute citizens charged with breaking IL guns laws that are in conflict with the US and the IL Constitutions...

Dozier said his office will no longer prosecute violations of state laws related to Firearm Owners Identification Cards, unlawful use of weapons and aggravated unlawful use of weapons and other statutes that appear to be in conflict with two other Supreme Court decisions on gun ownership. The use of weapons laws punish people “for merely possessing (not using or threatening to use) a firearm in the wrong place or wrong kind of container,” said Dozier.

“We will no longer use the power and authority of our office to criminalize and punish decent otherwise law-abiding citizens who chose to exercise their rights granted under them by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and their families,” said Dozier’s statement.
However - It's business as usual for the police...

McLean County Sheriff Mike Emery said his officers will continue to enforce Illinois’ gun laws.

“Many share the same belief as our state’s attorney, including me. However, until the governor signs legislation creating CCW, all firearms have to be unloaded and cased and for transport to be legal and the owner must possess a FOID card. I advised sheriff’s office law enforcement staff that we will not change our enforcement policies and that we shall continue to enforce the laws of the state of Illinois as they currently exist,” Emery told The Pantagraph.

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local...9bb2963f4.html

It looks like the link to the full press release from the SA is currently broken...
A quick review of the MSM in Chicago didn't have any mention of this . . . I wonder why?

Have Blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually this is gaining some steam in Illinois. For the most part, IL is like most other midwestern states as far as guns are concerned. I't only when you get North of I-80 and East of I-294 that you start seeing the anti-gun politicians . . Chicago is the tail that wags the dog in IL. There's even a movement to lop off Chicago and let them be their own state....

Edwards County State's Attorney Michael Valentine agrees with the McLean County SA and had this to say, "“It’s a policy I know several counties in Illinois, including Edwards, now follow,” he said."

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31143&st=0

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We will no longer use the power and authority of our office to criminalize and punish decent otherwise law-abiding citizens who chose to exercise their rights granted them... by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and their families

Good guy whose heart is in the right place. Too bad his head isn't.

What's a bit upsetting and very irritating is that a State's Attorney doesn't get it that the 2nd Amendment grants nothing but that instead prohibits the government from violating a pre-existing right.

The entire bill of rights tells the government what it can't do not what it can. That is not an insignificant semantic difference but the entire foundation of why the BOR was included by the founders in the first place. The constitution was designed to create a government that protected the natural rights of citizens - NOT to GRANT them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom