Illinois Will Not Honor an Oklahoma License!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
OSBI has listed Illinois as a state that Oklahoma Has reciprocity with. THIS IS FALSE!!!!! Illinois will not honor any other states permit/license. I have informed them of this but if you have a contact in the OSBI you should contact them also. http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/Reciprocity/index.html

If you have an Oklahoma License to Carry you can keep your loaded firearm on your person in your vehicle while traveling through IL. IL will let all permit holders to travel through the state the same way. You can not leave your vehicle with an Unsecured and Unloaded firearm. You can lock a loaded firearm up in a container inside your locked vehicle but again you can't leave the vehicle with a loaded firearm. There wording on this travel law is not worded that well and at this time Handgunlaw.us is stating you shouldn't vehicle carry in IL without a permit/license from your state of residence. This may change in the future but from all I am hearing this is the way they will enforce the law. For more info see the Illinois page at www.handgunlaw.us

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/ccw-faq.cfm

Are out-of-state Concealed Carry permit holders granted reciprocity in Illinois?No. Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on their person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois. In order for out-of-state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois. The Illinois State Police will establish rules to identify the elements necessary to meet the substantially similar requirement.*Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule became effective immediately.*If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

$300 for a 5 year non residents lic. Sadly im gonna apply for one.

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My concern is OSBI is telling those in Oklahoma with a License to Carry that it is honored in Illinois when it is not.
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/Reciprocity/index.html

We have to get them to remove Illinois from their list!

Indi, I would wait. From the way I read it they will not just issue to any non resident. The way I read it they will list states that residents of will be able to apply. They may only list a few or all. But until they make this clearer I would wait.

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
OSBI called me this morning and they stated that Illinois would honor the OK permit for carry inside a vehicle. They understand that it is just inside a vehicle. They will not state that on their website. They link to the IL State Police that tells OK residents that they can only carry in their vehicle. They say this is enough. I explained that many people don't read it all and will just see IL as honoring OK and carry there. They say they have to confirm by going to the IL State Police Website and see where they can carry. They are not going to change anything.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddies in Chicago have to have 16 credit hours of training to recieve their permits. I have 17hrs lol. Hopefully anyone who goes to chicago familiarizes themselves with Illinois law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom