I'm thinking about installing a tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I just put down a deposit for an in-ground by Thunder Ground here in Norman, seems to be good quality design and good price, discounted until tomorrow according to their Facebook page

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iim going to go against the grain here, but I don't think a tornado with 300mph winds moves a car at 300mph, maybe someone more versed in physics would know? It's been a while since college but this just doesn't make sense. Seems to be light debris paper, wood, bricks fly around with the twister in the debris cloud. But cars, etc. get tossed around but don't necessarily swirl around at 300mph before they land back down.

Think about it if you have a strong shop fan, it may blow at 50mph, but will blow a piece a paper or light objects across the room at half that speed and if directed correctly may scoot a bolt or nut or something across the floor, make sense?

I just really don't see cars flying through the air at 300mph, seems they were all tossed around and may even pick up and throw them, still serious no less and everyone needs shelter.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iim going to go against the grain here, but I don't think a tornado with 300mph winds moves a car at 300mph, maybe someone more versed in physics would know? It's been a while since college but this just doesn't make sense. Seems to be light debris paper, wood, bricks fly around with the twister in the debris cloud. But cars, etc. get tossed around but don't necessarily swirl around at 300mph before they land back down.

Think about it if you have a strong shop fan, it may blow at 50mph, but will blow a piece a paper or light objects across the room at half that speed and if directed correctly may scoot a bolt or nut or something across the floor, make sense?

I just really don't see cars flying through the air at 300mph, seems they were all tossed around and may even pick up and throw them, still serious no less and everyone needs shelter.

It doesn't need to be a car and it doesn't need to be 300mph. Something with enough mass and density going 100mph is scary enough for me.

How about whatever this is:

Last edited by a moderator:

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't need to be a car and it doesn't need to be 300mph. Something with enough mass and density going 100mph is scary enough for me.

How about whatever this is:

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbqnV13ASEQ

I agree but some on here were talking about specifically cars and trucks going 200-300 mph(as fast as tornado winds) and that above ground shelters could not withstand that much force (which I don't think any thing could).

For f5 standards I read UT tests 2X4's at 65-100mph, so if that is the speed wood travels in f5 after factoring in physics, then cars aren't going to be going 200-300mph.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree but some on here were talking about specifically cars and trucks going 200-300 mph(as fast as tornado winds) and that above ground shelters could not withstand that much force (which I don't think any thing could).

For f5 standards I read UT tests 2X4's at 65-100mph, so if that is the speed wood travels in f5 after factoring in physics, then cars aren't going to be going 200-300mph.

I'm not sure why you're zeroing in on that specific point, but nobody said anything about cars travelling 300mph - two folks posted tongue-in-cheek comments about cars going 100-200mph or 250mph, but I'm not sure they were speaking scientifically.

Here's a question - where was the fastest tornado speed wind ever recorded?

The answer is go buy a shelter now. :)

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We want a full step-by-step pictoral of the installation.

Well i'll try to get pics of me begging the wife for cash, her laughing very menacingly (she knows I'm her *****) and me handing the money to the guy with the storm shelter.

I'm actually getting the old boring models that get burried in the back yard and dirt mounded up around it. it is supposed to be stamped though.

Funny thing is we have been to the state fair the last 3 years for the sole purpose of buying a tornado shelter and a metal building, I have neither.

AR15OKLAHOMA

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put in the underground garage model about 3 years ago. It has about a 2 inch rise so I am not too worried about water getting in. It has a dual sliding top, not just a single one. The wife and I have had to use it several times. The peace of mind is incredible. Just get one and be glad that you did.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you're zeroing in on that specific point, but nobody said anything about cars travelling 300mph - two folks posted tongue-in-cheek comments about cars going 100-200mph or 250mph, but I'm not sure they were speaking scientifically.

Here's a question - where was the fastest tornado speed wind ever recorded?

The answer is go buy a shelter now. :)

Dude I'm not even arguing on whether to buy a shelter, I have access to above ground and underground shelter. I just get tired of factless arguments or not speaking scientifically as you call it. People against above ground shelters saying cars will be going 300mph, people against in ground garage shelters saying gas fumes will settle downward,etc and you will die of gas fumes (not on this thread but in the past).

I'm all for getting whichever kind of shelter but people say stuff without any supporting facts. Supposedly several above ground saferoom shelters were ripped away according to a couple off site friends, no evidence of this, also supposedly in ground fiberglass shelters were sucked away, any evidence? If there is fine, then lets see it and discuss, just tired if hear say reports. Sorry to bring facts into the whole discussion...

Latest posts

Top Bottom