In 1903 the US Army adopted a new rifle, but it also had 2 standard machine guns...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't say that I knew the answers, but this discussion made me think of the movie "Rough Riders," wherein they used both Gatling guns and another, smaller (possibly the one whose image was posted earlier) machine gun.

In the movie, they used the Gatling gun to fire upon the Spanish position on the hill from a distance. If I remember right, the Gatling was placed near where small artillery pieces were placed to fire on the hill.

On second thought, maybe that was the Hitchkiss Revolving Cannon in the movie. I guess I need to watch the movie again.

Found the spot in the movie. At least for the movie, it looks to be a Gatling gun.

What model is that? :-)

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I said it in my first post and I'm sticking with it. After some thorough cheating, it's the same nomenclature as the tater gun

You are correct. The 'other' 1895.

Troop_D_of_Colorado_state_militia_in_Meeker,_1904.png

Photo taken in 1904. Colorado NG/Militia

As we were adopting the Springfield 1903 a dang Gatling gun was still one of our standard machine guns.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ian just did a video about the Maxim that the US adopted in 1904 that was very interesting.

P.S. He also mentions that a Gatling Gun is not considered a machine gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom