In Ill., is stomping on the American Flag(in class) teaching "Freedom of Speech"???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least there were students, parents and citizens that stood up to this piece of excrement and the school also seems to be taking action too. It would seem that this case of public school indoctrination got nipped in the bud.

http://eagnews.org/teacher-suspended-after-stomping-on-american-flag-in-class/
Teacher suspended after stomping on American flag in class
STEVE GUNN
May 20, 2015

Last edited:

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not surprised that the teacher did this and glad that parents got involved.

We had something similar happen with my daughter when she was in middle school in Illinois. Homeroom teacher told the kids to sit down during the Pledge and later tried to cover his butt by saying he was trying to teach a lesson.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In normal public discourse, yes it is protected, even if I (or you) think it is despicable, but in class is a touchier subject. After all, the kids are more or less a captive audience. In this case it sounds like the teacher simply lost his temper and threw a fit in front of a classroom full of students.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this wont be popular, since it never is when this topic comes back each year, but here it goes. First, I have to imagine they had probably been discussing similar issues that have arisen in the news lately.

Second, can you imagine the lesson those kids would have learned if the school had issued a statement along the lines of,

"Despite vehemently disagreeing with the act itself, this teacher demonstrated to these students why the Constitution and the First Amendment is important to a free society. Political discourse is often unpleasant and is sometimes taken to the extreme, but none the less, this showed the students that we must always strive to protect political speech, no matter how reprehensible we might find it. And even if we disagree with the other person's position.

These students will continue to encounter things that offend them as they move through life. How they handles those situations will be the mark of what we have taught them as educators, parents and neighbors. I am proud that there were students who stood up to tell the teacher why it was offensive in a respectful manner. Protecting the rights of those we disagree with is a hallmark of our founding document.

As Thomas Jefferson correctly pointed out, 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.'"

But alas, they would never say anything in support of the Constitution i guess. But then again, i can see how teaching young students to question authority and think for themselves might be considered radical. Especially if it involves teaching them about the limits of government power.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect the students learned several good lessons, chief among them: If you do something stupid, even if it's legal and protected, you will still look stupid and may pay consequences for it.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in school, we used to pledge allegiance to the flag instead of stomping it....I guess times have changed.

Oddly enough in the school my 7 year old son attends they still do say the pledge of allegiance every morning. I consider that odd because the school is an arts and music hub school (at least that's what they call it anyway).

Latest posts

Top Bottom