Instant pig farmer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mentioned that to my wife. To demonstrate how little I really pay attention to their hog herd, the Mang I mentioned above was a boar is actually a sow. For some reason I thought they told me they were buying a boar when they bought him.
Did she tell you I was partners with them and need some feed money 💰

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a single wire electric fence will hold hogs very good.
Pete from the Just a Few Acres Farm YouTube channel uses a single hot wire to make a pen for his feeder pigs. They find it once with their very sensitive snouts, then they remember where it is pretty much indefinitely, even if it's off temporarily. It presents a hurdle when it's time to haul them off to the butcher; he takes out a segment of the wire just wide enough to back the trailer up to the pen, then he puts their feed in the trailer to get them used to it. It takes them a day or two to get up into the trailer because they remember where the hot wire was and won't get near it.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pete from the Just a Few Acres Farm YouTube channel uses a single hot wire to make a pen for his feeder pigs. They find it once with their very sensitive snouts, then they remember where it is pretty much indefinitely, even if it's off temporarily. It presents a hurdle when it's time to haul them off to the butcher; he takes out a segment of the wire just wide enough to back the trailer up to the pen, then he puts their feed in the trailer to get them used to it. It takes them a day or two to get up into the trailer because they remember where the hot wire was and won't get near it.
this has been my experience also. usually didn't even have a charger on the fence.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this has been my experience also. usually didn't even have a charger on the fence.
Interesting difference between pigs and dogs… My dog used to dig in a flower bed, so I got a little battery-powered hot wire setup. If it was on, you couldn’t drag her to the vicinity of the fence, but when it was off, it was Katie bar the door. She eventually caught it when the batteries died and chewed off the plastic poles that held the wire…