Instant pig farmer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know what is the best hog size/age for butchering but I would think they’d make a bunch of cheap sausages! The girls have a list of folks waiting but that’s for weaning size pigs. They’ve built a clientele. They started this a few years ago with 1 pair of pigs and now I think they have 6 sows and 2 boars. The breed is a little different though. I’ve got zero idea if it’s better or worse. Most of them are American Guinea hogs. I’d call them a medium sized hog. They don’t root as much and actually graze quite a bit like a cow. They also have a Mangalitza (spelling?) boar. Hell if I know much about it aside from its kinda brown and tan striped.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the room but no way to contain them or I'd be skipping work and on my way to get them. Looks like I need to start building an enclosure.
I never thought it’d work but it has. Wife and daughters keep there’s in a “portable corral” of electric poultry netting. It’s about 3’ tall and has squares like a wire panel but is all that white rope with electric wire braided into it. It has several fiberglass post that push into the ground. It’s about a 50’ diameter circle as they have it currently. They move it around doing a rotational grazing type thing. Of course it’s got a solar powered fence charger powering it.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a single wire electric fence will hold hogs very good. the piglets will go where they please. the invention of polywire products and fiberglass posts has revolutionized my life with livestock. but for long distance and large acres you can't beat high tensile steel wire. then just carry a reel of poly and a connecting lead and tap in at will to put your livestock anywhere you need them.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great way of teaching!

Our pay on the farm raising up was one steer or heifer calf a year. Could keep it and start your own beard or sell it back or raise it and sell it. I kept all mine. Time I was in High school I had 40 head.

I don’t know that I’d tell everyone it took me 40 years to graduate high school, but that’s just me.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know what is the best hog size/age for butchering but I would think they’d make a bunch of cheap sausages! The girls have a list of folks waiting but that’s for weaning size pigs. They’ve built a clientele. They started this a few years ago with 1 pair of pigs and now I think they have 6 sows and 2 boars. The breed is a little different though. I’ve got zero idea if it’s better or worse. Most of them are American Guinea hogs. I’d call them a medium sized hog. They don’t root as much and actually graze quite a bit like a cow. They also have a Mangalitza (spelling?) boar. Hell if I know much about it aside from its kinda brown and tan striped.
I need a mangalica boar.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need a mangalica boar.
I mentioned that to my wife. To demonstrate how little I really pay attention to their hog herd, the Mang I mentioned above was a boar is actually a sow. For some reason I thought they told me they were buying a boar when they bought him.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mentioned that to my wife. To demonstrate how little I really pay attention to their hog herd, the Mang I mentioned above was a boar is actually a sow. For some reason I thought they told me they were buying a boar when they bought him.
The curly locks pigs, say they taste real good. But in my eyes a pig is a pig.