Interesting find on primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago we did a test with 38 special and “killing” primers. Tried water, wd40, motor oil, and gun oil. We soaked overnight, then sat in sun to “dry” off the excess. All the water ones fired, most of the wd40 ones fired, only 1 or2 of the gun oil ones fired, and none of the motor oil ones fired. Was an interested little test for fun.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I have heard all kinds of horror stories about ruined primers for just storing them in a hot garage for a few weeks. This seems to bust that theory.

I lived in the hot humid wonderland called Houston for 10 years and stored primers in my non climate controlled garage. It would get to 120 in the garage on the hot days with humidity close to 80% and Never had a single failure..

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago we did a test with 38 special and “killing” primers. Tried water, wd40, motor oil, and gun oil. We soaked overnight, then sat in sun to “dry” off the excess. All the water ones fired, most of the wd40 ones fired, only 1 or2 of the gun oil ones fired, and none of the motor oil ones fired. Was an interested little test for fun.
Funny, that is the exact thing I would have envisioned @swampratt to post.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I have heard all kinds of horror stories about ruined primers for just storing them in a hot garage for a few weeks. This seems to bust that theory.

I lived in the hot humid wonderland called Houston for 10 years and stored primers in my non climate controlled garage. It would get to 120 in the garage on the hot days with humidity close to 80% and Never had a single failure..
With today's manufacturing processes, tolerances, and QC practices, I would have guessed 100% will go bang.

Of course, primers being a one time use kinda like an electrical fuse you pretty much have to trust them when you replace them. If only they made primers like electrical breakers where you could reuse them by flipping a switch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom