Iraq troop withdrawal by Christmas!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44990594/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TqGkzWDzG5E

President Barack Obama announced on Friday that all U.S. troops will leave Iraq by the end of the year.
The president made the announcement at a White House briefing following a private video conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.
“As promised the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home by the end of the year. After nearly nine years, the war in Iraq will be over,” Obama said.
More than 4,400 American military members have been killed, and another 2,000 wounded since the U.S. invaded Iraq in March 2003.
The two countries have been negotiating over whether the United States would leave behind up to several thousand military trainers after year-end, or if all remaining troops would depart as planned by Dec. 31. The main sticking point has been legal immunity for any U.S. forces that remain.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't argue with this one...I said if we were going to just leave a token force behind then we might as well pull them all out.

Glad it's almost over. RIP to the fallen and strength to the wounded....

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obama will probably try to take credit for this one too.

Welcome home troops!

Well, he actually can take credit for this one. It was a question of negotiating the conditions for retaining some forces in theater and the Iraqis wouldn't concede on immunity so the Pres pulled the plug.

I don't like the guy, but this was the right call.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, he actually can take credit for this one. It was a question of negotiating the conditions for retaining some forces in theater and the Iraqis wouldn't concede on immunity so the Pres pulled the plug.

I don't like the guy, but this was the right call.

The initial time table for withdrawal by EOY 2011 was agreed to under the Bush admin. in 2008. The immunity question was not an Obama plan either, it was in the original agreement.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad. It's about time. But I can't help but wonder if they are going to cry for us to come back and save their butts in a year or two. If they do.....:finger:

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh, looking for votes are we?
Now he is out working hard "in the swing states" for jobs. Do you not like cops, firemen, teachers, and children? Did not hear Joe Biden talk about how much crime has gone up under Obama, and going to get worse if he can't pick some more winners and losers. We need to work on your attitude.lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom