IRS is Armed and Dangerous

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like they have some problems handling firearms safely. How does this stack up against other law enforcement agencies?

Special agents at the IRS accidentally shot their firearms 11 times between 2009 and 2011, and at least three of the cases “may have resulted in property damage or personal injury.”

Agents actually fired their guns accidently more often than they intentionally fired them in the field, according to an audit by the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA).

The report also found that the agency, which is now training with AR-15s, does not always provide remedial training to agents who fired their weapons due to “negligence.”

The September 2012 audit examined whether IRS special agents, who execute search warrants for those suspected of violating U.S. tax laws, are being properly trained and reporting incidents when weapons are fired....

According to the audit, “there were a total of eight firearm discharges classified as intentional use of force incidents and 11 discharges classified as accidental during FYs 2009 through 2011.” In other words, agents were more likely to accidentally fire their weapon than to fire it intentionally....

Accidents are supposed to be reported to the National Criminal Investigation Training Academy (NCITA), which manages the firearms training program for the IRS Criminal Investigation unit. However, four of the 11 incidents were not properly reported.

“In three of the four accidental discharges that were not reported, the accidental discharges may have resulted in property damage or personal injury,” the report says.

The details on these incidents, however, are redacted from the report....

Furthermore, the audit details that agents who accidentally fire their guns do not receive special follow- up training.

“We found that the four visited field offices did not always provide remedial training when an accidental discharge occurred due to special agent negligence,” the report said....

Agents are also now training with AR-15s, according to Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.), who toured a federal law enforcement facility last month.

“I think Americans raise eyebrows when you tell them that IRS agents are training with a type of weapon that has stand-off capability,” Duncan told Politico. “It’s not like they’re carrying a sidearm and they knock on someone’s door and say, ‘You’re evading your taxes.’”...

- See more at: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...-times-possible-injuries#sthash.2L7BcynE.dpuf

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I the only one who finds it more disturbing that IRS agents intentionally fired their weapons 8 times in the two year period?

Seriously, WTF were they firing at?

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shocking! I look at the IRS as a simple goverment accounting department. There's no one in the accounting department at the company I work for that I would trust with a gun...and I fail to see the reason the goverment accounting department needs gun carrying agents any way. Do they really intend to rob you? I honestly thought folks have always been kidding about that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom