Is reconciliation with the Taliban possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a book called "The Hidden War" its by a journalist named Artyom Borovik. Its an account of the Soviet War in Afghanistan by a Russian Journalist. I'd say that people who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. The Afghans haven't changed just the name of the country that invaded them. We should leave there and quit trying to change these people.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n276939

If the Taliban breaks with Al-queda and devotes itself to non violence should the US and Afghanistan governments reconcile with them?

That, will never happen. They are a feudalistic tribal organization and the only way to ensure their non-violence would be eradication. However, Afghanistan isn't our AOR. We've spanked them 10 times over for harboring Al-Qaeda. What exactly is our mission there until 2014? Ensuring the survival of a corrupt national government that only exists to feed off US largess? Afghanistan is the ulcered sphincter of the globe and it will continue to be the ulcered sphincter of the globe long after we've left. I see no reason whatsoever to reconcile with them, nor care whether the Afghan government does.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I sure wish we'd have had some balls back in 2001 and held off on invading A-stan. Revenge is a dish best served cold. I'm thinking that allowing them to feel like they got away with 9/11 just long enough to come out into the open, then a salvo of about 1,000 tomahawk missiles and B-2 sorties for about 3 days would've been a hell of a lot cheaper and more effective than a 13 year ground war that didn't even account for killing Bin-Laden. About all I can see we're accomplishing is "Look Russia, we're 30% more stupid and stubborn than you!". :(

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It'll never happen. As soon as we leave that cess pool it will revert back to the way it has been for the last 3000 years. I give it less than 30 days.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Taliban devoting itself to non violence is almost as laughable as the USA devoting itself to non violence.

And for the "blow everyone over there up" people, nothing looks more patriotic than avenging the deaths of thousands of civilians with the deaths of millions of civilians.

Latest posts

Top Bottom