Is the Internet killing religion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, and to be truthful about it, even the Roman Catholic church didn't come about until about 300 years after Jesus.

It didn't become known and the Roman Catholic church until 380 AD when it became the State Religion of the Roman Empire under Emperor Theodosius I. And it was in the early 2nd century AD, that the Greeks refereed to the church as the Universal "Catholic" Church.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing that burned me out on Christianity was the belief in Jesus. Either you believed and were saved or you went to hell. If you were born in a tribe that was not visited my missionaries you went to hell by default. That really got me thinking. Why would a religion of love base your salvation on whether you believed in Jesus or not. There's a song about working until every tribe and person kneels to The Lord. I wonder how many you'd have to kill before that happened or those who would kneel and not believe. I'm a good person and I intend to remain that way. Not because a book told me to, but because I feel it is right. You can say that is due to God if you want. I don't take stock in a single being watching everyone on earth at the same time and having only a single truth to who is right in their beliefs.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Religion is not dying. That is just the wish of a few. Instead it is changing and in many cases what people worship is changing. Some of us believe in God but not organized religion. Some of us believe in government. Some believe in traditional religions and some believe in the church of whats happening now.

Man always looks for something larger then themselves to have faith in, to worship, or to fear. A few seem to believe they are God. (Bloomberg, Obama) Some develop into a false godhood by saying what a few want to hear. (Ron Paul) Some put their faith and fear into science theories like climate change even though that has more a resemblance to the enemy in 1984. Some want to just get rid of all religion so that they do not have to hear that what they like is a sin.

Religion is far from dying.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I see your point. The Rev Jesse Jackson, and the Rev Al Sharpton have never stood in a pulpit. Its a title acquired by going to some school, or class or whatever. Usde by them to acquire some tax advantage, and supposed respect among their base.

Reverend Billy Graham(sp)
Reverend Jerry Falwell

There is a huge list of Reverends. Unless your point is you must have a pulpit to give the title Legitimacy.

Remember, Jesus didn't have a pulpit or church. Just kinda roamed around with a bunch of ragtag freinds who referred to him as "teacher".

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned that Darwin "explored" the idea of the Theory of Evolution. Because, evolution is still just a theory.

Let me ask a couple of questions, but first go to this site and just start with the top portion of the article about the process of coagulation. However, if you look below that first portion, you'll see a whole lot more that is written about the various elements and processes of that vital function.

Blood Coagulation: Hemostasis

So, while I have no expectation that anyone can answer either of my questions, let me start with this one: Considering all the elements and processes (including interactions between elements), might we presume that it would take many generations for the process of coagulation to "evolve?" After all, evolution is supposed to be the gradual changing of species that is passed from generation to generation through procreation.

Now, considering the likelihood of many generations needed for this to evolve, how is it that mankind, prone to kicking around in the woods and rocks and injuring themselves, didn't bleed to death before coagulation was accomplished? Personally, as much as I injured myself as a kid, I doubt I would have made it to puberty, let alone be able to "pass along" an evolutionary element.

Now, Darwin later stated that two things would "destroy" his theory of evolution: one, the lack of finding any fossil remains of a "transformational creature," and two, that the cell could be proved to be "irreducibly complex." So far, after 150 years of mankind looking, the fossil remains of the transformational creature have not been found. Also, with the advent of better technology in the form of microscopes, to include electron microscopes, the cell has been found to be VERY complex.

Terry, the Theory of Evolution was never a theory to prove or dis prove the existence of God. It's a proven theory that animals evolve base on their environment. Birds on one island ate seeds. Birds of the same species on a different island ate bugs. The only physical difference was the shape of the birds beak.

It would be the same if I tried to say Einstein theory of Relativity disproves God. Darwin theory only proves evolution exists and happens.

It's a fact, things evolve. The theory just explains how or why.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Actually, all three religions trace their roots back to Abraham and his God. With Islam, the lineage goes through Ishmael, while Judaism and Christianity trace back through Isaac.

Each is actually correct in that there is "one god," but each practices their worship differently. While both Judaism and Islam deny that Jesus was the Messiah, there are some Jews that are called Messianic Jews that do believe that Jesus was the Messiah. Since Islam didn't come about until about 600 years or so after Christ, they would naturally deny Jesus as Messiah because they want to believe what Mohammed wrote in the Quran.

Oh, and to be truthful about it, even the Roman Catholic church didn't come about until about 300 years after Jesus.

I'm very aware of history of Christianity and the evolution of the church. You really need to separate Religion from God. That's why in a earlier post I asked "can you practice or have religion without God?" The answer is yes. You can have religion with out God.

Once you have God standing alone, without preconceptions or ideas of God corrupted by religion, then you can begin to argue "does God exist? " It's actually very hard to shed personal beliefs about God from a Christian perspective. You've been corrupted since birth Either by circumcision or infantile baptism. Christianity permeates us since birth. It's everywhere.

Once you shed this cloak of Christianity, we can argue. Otherwise, we're just fussing over Hemostasis and intelligent design and first movers vs evolution and big bangs.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Terry, the Theory of Evolution was never a theory to prove or dis prove the existence of God. It's a proven theory that animals evolve base on their environment. Birds on one island ate seeds. Birds of the same species on a different island ate bugs. The only physical difference was the shape of the birds beak.

It would be the same if I tried to say Einstein theory of Relativity disproves God. Darwin theory only proves evolution exists and happens.

It's a fact, things evolve. The theory just explains how or why.

You missed it. That's not evolution that's adaptation. If it all started out as one organism that formed into life why then didn't it all evolve into the same thing?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reverend Billy Graham(sp)
Reverend Jerry Falwell

There is a huge list of Reverends. Unless your point is you must have a pulpit to give the title Legitimacy.

Remember, Jesus didn't have a pulpit or church. Just kinda roamed around with a bunch of ragtag freinds who referred to him as "teacher".

There is a little difference in Billy Graham and Jerry Falwell.
I'm not a religious person per say as saying I have to go to church to be saved, but I do believe there is a higher entity. I never said a pulpit was required to be legitiment reverend.

I'm saying anybody on this earth can go to the web and become a reverend or preacher. Here is a little blurb. I can post the link if you want.

Get Ordained Online

You are about to legally become an ordained minister, or priest to perform religious services through the Universal Life Church Monastery. For information regarding the legal aspects of ULC ordinations in your state or province, view our ordination FAQ page for answers to the most common questions.

After you have completed the ordination form you will receive a confirmation e-mail, which serves as receipt of your ordination. Please read this email carefully. It is not only a welcome message explaining your ordination; it also contains important information and links.

Please make sure you have complied with the following instructions:
•Only put your true, full legal name (*nicknames will invalidate your ordination).
•Only include factual information.
•Double check your name and email address.
•Capitalize where appropriate, as this is how your ordination will be reflected in our records.
•Submitting a fictitious name, ordination under your animal's name, or submission without a person's permission is not allowed. All such applications will be rejected upon review.

http://www.themonastery.org/ordination

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You missed it. That's not evolution that's adaptation. If it all started out as one organism that formed into life why then didn't it all evolve into the same thing?

If God created all creatures perfectly, then why do they need to adapt?

What he described is an example is adaptation, yes, this is a form of microevolution within a species to adapt to their environment, whereas evolution results in a new species. Either way, it all still falls under Darwinian Evolution.

Latest posts

Top Bottom