Is the Internet killing religion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There is a little difference in Billy Graham and Jerry Falwell.
I'm not a religious person per say as saying I have to go to church to be saved, but I do believe there is a higher entity. I never said a pulpit was required to be legitiment reverend.

I'm saying anybody on this earth can go to the web and become a reverend or preacher. Here is a little blurb. I can post the link if you want.

Get Ordained Online

You are about to legally become an ordained minister, or priest to perform religious services through the Universal Life Church Monastery. For information regarding the legal aspects of ULC ordinations in your state or province, view our ordination FAQ page for answers to the most common questions.

After you have completed the ordination form you will receive a confirmation e-mail, which serves as receipt of your ordination. Please read this email carefully. It is not only a welcome message explaining your ordination; it also contains important information and links.

Please make sure you have complied with the following instructions:
•Only put your true, full legal name (*nicknames will invalidate your ordination).
•Only include factual information.
•Double check your name and email address.
•Capitalize where appropriate, as this is how your ordination will be reflected in our records.
•Submitting a fictitious name, ordination under your animal's name, or submission without a person's permission is not allowed. All such applications will be rejected upon review.

http://www.themonastery.org/ordination

Oh Lord, I wish you wouldn't a posted this. I'm bout to become ordained. I'll marry gays n smoke pot n raise people from the dead. Hell maybe I'll come out of retirement and get a job as a talking head on a MSM cable channel.

Hell ya!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh Lord, I wish you wouldn't a posted this. I'm bout to become ordained. I'll marry gays n smoke pot n raise people from the dead. Hell maybe I'll come out of retirement and get a job as a talking head on a MSM cable channel.

Hell ya!!

True dude! Write off your house as a church, every thing you buy is for the church. Grocery's are for feeding the poor, Travel to the Bahama's to do a little preaching is all covered!

Its the bomb!!!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Organized religion (aka community) is absolutely necessary to tell you if you are receiving messages from God or the Devil (aka what all the little voices in your head are up to).

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The lack of religion is a big part of America's problem. We need to move this country back to its Judeo-Christian roots.

This nation never had "Judeo-Christian" roots. That term wasn't used until the very late 1890's. It became more popular after WWII. Those who claim that America is a Judeo-Christian country are simply parroting catch phrases without question and are guilty of rewriting history. The fact is that America at it's founding was primarily deist with a Unitarian influence. This is reflected in the Declaration of Independence.

The purpose of religion is to take the focus off of the Creator and place it onto the "god" of whatever holy text espoused by that text's proponents and mire one down in silly theology. Religion essentially says, "you have faults, convert to our belief, and you will be saved". This theme actually seperates man from thinking about the Creator as they wrap themselves up in the minutia of their chosen religion which uses fear as the prime motivator to secure adherents.

Thinking about the Creator requires having no religion at all.

And finally, the word Juedeo-Christian seems to only be pointed at Christians. Jews don't subscribe to Christian theology. Attempting to meld the two groups together with a hyphen is devisive.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The purpose of religion is to take the focus off of the Creator and place it onto the "god" of whatever holy text espoused by that text's proponents and mire one down in silly theology. Religion essentially says, "you have faults, convert to our belief, and you will be saved". This theme actually seperates man from thinking about the Creator as they wrap themselves up in the minutia of their chosen religion which uses fear as the prime motivator to secure adherents.

A mentally healthy person is not afraid to drive a car - and yet it's the fear of "bad things can happen" that makes you press the brakes at every red light; and if you don't - bad things WILL happen. You don't make a new and exciting discovery every time you see a red light, you use pre-existing rules and you just stop!

Fear of god is a natural mind-state for a healthy society. It doesn't mean that you have to live in the constant state of terror. But the fact that so-called "intellectuals" can't apply same cause-and-effect logic to human spirituality simply blows my mind.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A mentally healthy person is not afraid to drive a car - and yet it's the fear of "bad things can happen" that makes you press the brakes at every red light; and if you don't - bad things WILL happen. You don't make a new and exciting discovery every time you see a red light, you use pre-existing rules and you just stop!

Fear of god is a natural mind-state for a healthy society. It doesn't mean that you have to live in the constant state of terror. But the fact that so-called "intellectuals" can't apply same cause-and-effect logic to human spirituality simply blows my mind.

Could it be because everything doesn't have a cause to have effect?

Latest posts

Top Bottom