Is this "the" case for requiring private gun sales background checks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem is that, IMHO, it is impossible to monitor a system that requires/mandates that all sales undergo a background check, without knowing who owns what already. Otherwise how would anyone even know that a sale had taken place?
If we are just relying on the goodness of the seller to do a background check, then that is impractical from a legal enforcement standpoint.
The only solution is a database of who owns what.
Otherwise, we can all just accept that UBCs will not prevent crimes, and move on.
Also, the "even if one life were saved..." argument that liberals put forward is totally hoaky IMHO. This is similar to saying that we should monitor and control burger and fries consumption in the USA, even if one life can be saved from it.
. Should government be allowed to monitor food intake and the amount we exercise, so that some lives may be saved? You'll be surprised how many progressives will say yes!
:)

Of course its all hoakey, thats theyre intent, is to register ,All guns(no tinfoil here)

.there will always be guns to be had , IF you really want one

.and the saved one life?/..........how many are saved , because , they Had a gun.
I would really like to see those stats, but you wont find an honest one. Theyre not collecting them for those stats.....is It "The Plan??"

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I think due diligence is just common sense, hypothetically I would feel no responsibility if someone lied to me and I ended up selling him a gun. He's the criminal not me! We really need to get off this bandwagon and start putting the responsibility where it belongs and holding those accountable I.E. the freaking criminals! If you sold a set of kitchen knives to Jeffery Dahmer would you feel in any way responsible for his actions? I think not...

Would you feel guilty or responsible if you sold your car to a person and they then killed some pedestrians with the car while committing a crime like DUI?

Several Pedestrians Killed in Miami in One Week
July 10, 2012
At times it feels like an epidemic: so far six pedestrians have been killed in the streets of Miami in one week.

Three Family Members Killed Outside Marlin Stadium

Three family members were struck and killed on July 3, 2012, by an out of control minivan just outside Marlins stadium in the 1700 block of NW 7th Street. According to CBSlocal.com, police are investigating whether 67 year old Raul Ortega Arias, who also died in the accident, suffered some kind of medical condition before losing control of his 2006 Dodge Caravan. He run on to the sidewalk, where he struck a grandmother and three children walking to their car after watching the Marlin's game. Esther Terrero de Diaz, 53, Franklin Diaz, 14, and Adriana Diaz, 13, were struck and killed, while 10 year old Magdeline Diaz is still recovering from her injuries at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Two Church Officials Struck Outside Jumbos Restaurant

Meanwhile, on the night of July 8, 2012, two church officials were killed by a drunk driver that run his car into Jumbos, a popular local restaurant. Aljo Hamlin, 63, and Wilton Thomas Harris, 61, were killed last weekend as they dined at Jumbos. About 11 people were inside the popular Liberty City eatery on Saturday night when tragedy struck.

According to nbclocal.com, police have charged 53 year old Antonio Lawrence with two counts of DUI manslaughter after he lost control of his pick-up truck and slammed it into a truck parked outside the restaurant. This second truck then crashed thru the restaurant's entrance, striking one of the victims and throwing him inside after running over and killing the other victim. Both men were long time customers and friends of the restaurant's owner, Bobby Flam, who organized a community gathering Sunday afternoon to remember the victims.

Homeless Man Killed by Hit & Run Driver

Finally, police have identified another pedestrian struck and killed at around 5:00 a.m. that same day near North Miami Avenue and 79th Street. The victim, Carl Jones, was a homeless man attempting to cross 79th Street. Surveillance cameras caught the moment when a dark colored car struck Mr. Jones and kept going. Police are looking for a black Pontiac or another similarly colored vehicle for this accident.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or what if you sell a gun to someone that has no criminal record and it's completely legit and then they go out and commit a crime with the gun???

Is someone responsible for that?

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"We didn't know he had gone to Oregon, had no particular reason to look there."

This statement strikes me as pretty damn stupid. I'm not even a LEO much less Sheriff in charge, but how the hell could he say this?

1) You have a suspect for a double murder who failed to check in with his community supervisor within 24 hours of his release from the pokie.
2) Number one thing on his mind is to flee the state!
3) You're in King County, Washington - he ain't going north thru customs into Canada.
4) Where else CAN he go - but south to Portland, Oregon?!

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course its all hoakey, thats theyre intent, is to register ,All guns(no tinfoil here)

.there will always be guns to be had , IF you really want one

.and the saved one life?/..........how many are saved , because , they Had a gun.
I would really like to see those stats, but you wont find an honest one. Theyre not collecting them for those stats.....is It "The Plan??"

Here is a peer-reviewed study that demonstrates how several million crimes a year are prevented each year because a good guy had a gun.

Gary, Kleck and Marc Gertz, "Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun," Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology 1995, Vol. 86 No. 1.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no inherent value to knowing the exact number of [Page 169] DGUs many more than there is any value to knowing the exact number of crimes which are committed each year. The estimates in Table 2 are at best only rough approximations, which are probably too low. It is sufficient to conclude from these numbers that DGU is very common, far more common than has been recognized to date by criminologists or policy makers, and certainly far more common than one would think based on any official sources of information.
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...tp://www.saf.org/LawReviews/KleckAndGertz1.ht

Latest posts

Top Bottom