It's all about Magnum. ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Come to think of it the first primers I used in all my guns 30-30 ,.308 30-06 with many different powders were the CCI #34
which is considered a magnum primer.. I later switched to the 210M and my accuracy got a smidge better.
Now testing CCI 200 vs 210M and the 210M seems to keep my groups a little tighter. but using stick powders.

Never know what your gun will like is very true

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As with any new load, start on the low end and work slowly. Just as switching from Federal to Winchester to Remington primers will change your results, going from std to mag primers will be different.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mag primers are fine to use. Back off your powder load a bit, and work back up.

I used magnum primers in .223 loads when they were hard to find. No issues after taking all the precautions. Didn't see any changes in accuracy, etc.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only primer I'm very careful of substituting is the Federal. It is somewhat hotter than the other brands. It is my primer of choice for the big magnums and most all ball powder loads. I get a noticible increase in velocity with the Federal Magnum primer over other brands of magnum primers.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...primers, what would happen if I put a large rifle magnum primer in my .308?

Sent from the Armory

There was an article in Handloader magazine several years ago in which the author did extensive testing for accuracy, case longevity, etc. in the 308 Winchester. In his test, CCI 250 (large rifle magnum) primers gave the best accuracy. The primer that came in second in the accuracy department was the Federal 215GM (another magnum primer). The powder used was Varget.

I frequently try magnum primers in various loads I'm working up. What I've found is that you don't have to use magnum primers with ball powders and that sometimes a magnum primer is beneficial even in a smaller case or with stick powders. The only time I ever had to adjust a load down when using a magnum primer was when I tried large rifle magnum primers in a 44 Remington Magnum. Of course, if your load is on the bleeding edge of too hot, you should decrease the load a bit and work back up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom