Its Here!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The book is new as well. Its was sitting on the doorstep when I got back from my trade.

Yes Browning was just that! Its one of the reasons I have tried to aquire atleast one design of each of his pocket pistols. Right now the only two that are missing is a FN Baby, and a FN1900.

I have that same goal, I'd eventually like to own, or at least catalouge all firearms he produced... obviously with in reason (as much as I'd like to have an M1919... don't think the pocket book can support it right now, lol).

When you FINALLY make it up here, you'll have to bring some toys, hopefully it will be cooler and we can go shoot.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have that same goal, I'd eventually like to own, or at least catalouge all firearms he produced... obviously with in reason (as much as I'd like to have an M1919... don't think the pocket book can support it right now, lol).

When you FINALLY make it up here, you'll have to bring some toys, hopefully it will be cooler and we can go shoot.

To catalog all his firearms start with his original patents from the mid 1800's up the 1920's. From there you'll find that he is responsible for alot of the firearms we have today. Lots of folks like to downplay his geinous, but fail to look at their current likes and realize that if he hadn't been born they maynot have what they have. Almost every firearm made today has a Browning patent item in them.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To catalog all his firearms start with his original patents from the mid 1800's up the 1920's. From there you'll find that he is responsible for alot of the firearms we have today. Lots of folks like to downplay his geinous, but fail to look at their current likes and realize that if he hadn't been born they maynot have what they have. Almost every firearm made today has a Browning patent item in them.

Yup, and I don't care what anybody says... practically EVERY semi-auto pistol in the last 100 years has been, in some way, based off his design (or at least uses some, or many design elements).

Have you read "American Gunsmith"? I haven't yet, but I would like to at some point.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, and I don't care what anybody says... practically EVERY semi-auto pistol in the last 100 years has been, in some way, based off his design (or at least uses some, or many design elements).

Yep. John Browning for autos and Sam Colt for revolvers. Most every handgun today owes something to these two gentlemen.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Have you read "American Gunsmith"? I haven't yet, but I would like to at some point.

No I haven't, but I do have an read the "History of John Browning", and it covers all his patents and design's. Have read that it just makes me giggle when someone talks trash about Browning. Some folks just have no clue. Not only his designs, but the cartridges he gave us as well, The 38ACP now the .38Super, .25ACP, .32ACP, .380ACP, .50BMG just off the top of my head. Recoil spring around the barrel, recoil spring and guide rod under the barrel, locking lugs, breach locking, all the work done for Winchester, Remington, Savage, FN, Colt, and many, many others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep. John Browning for autos and Sam Colt for revolvers. Most every handgun today owes something to these two gentlemen.

Sam Colt was long dead by the time of what we think of as modern revolvers from SAA's to swing out cylinder guns, S&W even beat his company to having the fully bored through cylinder, and had functioning firearms long before the advent of the SAA. Credit can be given Colt for bring the revolver to the forefront, but sometimes he is given way to much credit for what little he did. Granted he brought out some really neat Cap-n-Ball revolvers, but they were all based off his original Patterson.

Latest posts

Top Bottom