Jumping the Gun here - Applying for an FFL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking into this before I retired. For me it was too much BS.

FFL Licensing and record keeping
City Business license
Corporation Commission License
State Tax ID
Business Tax Filing
Set up LLC to protect personal assets.
Business bank account

One item that BATFE and I discussed and could not come to agreement. ITAR fees.
Supposed to be yearly fees for international trade. My argument was that I would not be doing any international trade and there was no need to pay the fees.

ITAR isn't needed with an 01, were you looking to apply for an 07?

Re costs.... I ran an office FFL in CT. Only did transfers as I never got a chance to get it going since I moved out of state soon after.

My total costs in CT were....

$150 ATF application fee for an 07
$120 to register for Sales and Use Tax number
$10 to register a DBA with the city it was located
$000 to register as a Sole Proprietor

So about $300. That was in a town that allowed me to bypass zoning. When I tried to do it at my mothers house in a different city the zoning fees were about $3,000. It was cheaper to rent a $200 a month office space at the time.

Another thing to consider is that if you stock ammo the fire marshal may require overhead sprinklers.

Good luck with it! I got to see tons of guns I wouldn't have seen ha it not been for the small transfer business I was running.

ORA Frank

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am currently going through the process. It's been a minor pain in the ass but all in all it's doable. My building fell through at the last second so I simply informed them it was temporarily out if my home. They said that's fine but if you plan on moving we need to know early so we can write it up on your app so when you do move it's an easy process. The staff at the OKC office are great. As long as you have a good plan in place, a registered business name and clean background your going to be fine. But they can say no for any small thing that doesn't make sense to them. They will help you just ask. I should have my interview next week they said it was 3 to 4 hours depending on details.

SilencerX7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're thinking that you're going to save gobs of money for personal firearms, you're wrong. Typical mark up is 10%-15%.

Well, I did say I was simply going to use an FFL to help fund the hobby and maybe use it as a primary job when I'm officially teaching and I'm out for some kind of vacation the school does if the traffic is good enough. I've been reading a fair amount on the FFL and I didn't really expect to get firearms at a 1/3 of the retail price of, say, Kimber Customs or even the the lower end ones.

If I could just sell one gun or two guns a month, it'd pay for all the rounds I'd be able to use for my SKS, Mosin (WHERE CAN YOU FIND THE AMMO ON THIS?! I have 40 or so rounds and it's mind-boggling that I can't find any such place anywhere that still has them) and a handgun I haven't decided on yet.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can find mosin ammo online. Go to gunbot.net and search 7.62X54R and it will show you who has what in stock. Also, ammoseek.com is another site worth looking at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom