Kansas Public WIHA for pheasant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone hunted public land in southwest Kansas around Ashland? I usually go up around Liberal, but thought about trying something different this year. I downloaded the Google Earth overlay for public Walk In Hunting Areas (WIHA), which is so cool by the way.

http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWP-Info/Locations/Hunting-Fishing-Maps-by-County/2010-Fall-Hunting-Atlas/GPS-Information-Files

There is a large area just north of Ashland, but it does not appear to be the same type of terrain as around Liberal. I don't see a bunch of pivot irrigation circles from the overhead, which I assume means less groceries, and maybe less birds. 30 miles to the west around Meade it looks to getting into more cropland, and quite a few tracts of WIHA.

We aren't typical pheasant hunters, may just be me and my dog, maybe a buddy and his dog. Gets a little more challenging when you hunt solo like that. Less chance of flushing birds and you have to make your shots count, but I like the alone time to take in everything as I choose.

Anyone have any experience here, or any other suggestions without giving away your sweeet spots?

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you nailed it. The country down there is more cattle country so you really have to pick your spots. Food nearby = birds! I've done much better further north. BTW, Ike (my GSP) and I hunt the same way as you. If the only way I could shoot pheasants was walking in a line with 20 other shooters, I would just stay home and watch football.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I get more enjoyment out of watching Georgia, my black Lab, work than anything on earth. She is my best friend, hunting partner and companion, and that is what makes her the happiest.

jason kitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was hunting this weekend in hugoton kansas and there were alot of birds. me and the other 23 guys ( i have a big family) that were with me all limited out both days. In other words it worth the drive.

YankeeMN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking at being down in Eastern OK visiting some family over the holidays, anyone have recomendations about the better areas of kansas to hunt public land? We are thinking about going over to OKC and taking 35 up to KC on our way home.

I am used to hunting big groups of guys (10+) for pheasants in MN so I am hoping I can find some workable cover if the wife and i do decide to hunt Kansas.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking at being down in Eastern OK visiting some family over the holidays, anyone have recomendations about the better areas of kansas to hunt public land? We are thinking about going over to OKC and taking 35 up to KC on our way home.

I am used to hunting big groups of guys (10+) for pheasants in MN so I am hoping I can find some workable cover if the wife and i do decide to hunt Kansas.

YankeeMN, you aren't going to find many birds in that part of Kansas - maybe a few Quail. All the Pheasants are West and North. I used to have some pretty good hunting North of Kansas City in Kansas and Missouri near the Nebraska and Iowa borders. Between Oklahoma City and Kansas City you would be lucky to find a Pheasant (in Kansas). The WIHA land in SE Kansas primarily supports Deer and Quail.

YankeeMN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
YankeeMN, you aren't going to find many birds in that part of Kansas - maybe a few Quail. All the Pheasants are West and North. I used to have some pretty good hunting North of Kansas City in Kansas and Missouri near the Nebraska and Iowa borders. Between Oklahoma City and Kansas City you would be lucky to find a Pheasant (in Kansas). The WIHA land in SE Kansas primarily supports Deer and Quail.

Thanks for the heads up, I looked at the public land maps, but knowing I need to go north and west is a big step in the right direction. Right now I am caught between water fowling in eastern OK, or spending a couple days pheasant hunting on my way home, so I gotta start making a plan. Last couple times I was down with the family for the holidays there were ducks all over, a rare sight here in MN, unless you have the luxury of deer hunting in SW MN, because that's when and where we get our short taste of migration. Plus I will be chasing roosters the next two weekends here in MN and up our 35 bird tally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom