Keeping a pig too long

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased 2 pigs last year and butchered one. Was going to find a boar and breed the Gilt. Well the woo hoo flu messed up the plan. Never got a boar. So I continued to feed the Gilt. Finally decided I couldn't wait any longer and slaughtered her . Probably 600+ lbs live weight. Been making sausage for 2 days. 160 lbs worth. Made 60 lbs of Italian, polish and brats plus 100lbs of breakfast.
IMG_20210712_190019549_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210712_190148924.jpg

Still lots of bacon and Ham to do.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yikes! Surely not a 600 pound pig for pork chops and hams.
Why not. She was never bred and I know everything she had to eat. What is the difference in that and a 1500 lb beef that has everything under the sun injected into it and sold at grocery stores or the cancer eyed cow or old bull sold for hamburger.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not. She was never bred and I know everything she had to eat. What is the difference in that and a 1500 lb beef that has everything under the sun injected into it and sold at grocery stores or the cancer eyed cow or old bull sold for hamburger.
It wasn't anything to do with the injections, medications or disease.

What was her age? 600 pound (if accurate weight) isn't a younger pig. Generally the whole meat cuts are taken from younger animals for tenderness.

Carryon, don't mind me. Different strokes for different folks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom